PDA

View Full Version : Royal Fusiliers 2nd Bat.

amumto4boys
05-04-2007, 6:19 PM
Does anyone have any information relating to the Royal Fusiliers 2nd Bat, or how to go about finding out where they fought?

I have a Great Uncle who served with the Royal Fusiliers, in fact I had 4 Uncles who served with them, but one unfortunately dies in service.

Albert Wardle, Service Number G/14232 died 21st April 1917 and is at Arras Memorial in Bay 3 and is listed as Commonwealth War Dead.

A couple of questions if I may?

Where is Arras Memorial, and is it easy to get to?

I have Albert's service record, it just says he died of a gun shot wound. Can I search anywhere to find out the Battle in particular, location etc?

Where can I find details of there uniform they would wear?

Sorry for the questions, but it's been a revaltion to find him, and his details.

My Great Grandfather had 6 sons serve in WW1, and 5 survived.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kathie.

Elly
05-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Kathie

For information about the Royal Fusiliers go here
http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/007RFus.htm

Scroll down to History - Regulars, and click on 2nd Battalion to find out where this regiment was and when. Lots of other links on this page to information about the Fusiliers, including some good external sites.

For information about the Arras Memorial, go to Albert WARDLE's record on the CWGC site, and click his surname to access the Casualty Details screen. At the bottom, click the link to Arras Memorial for full details of its whereabouts.

There are seven Albert WARDLEs listed in Soldiers Died in the Great War, accessible at findmypast (under Military). You will need to know where he was born to identify the right record (pay per view, unless you already subscribe to the site).

Hope that helps
Elly

Peter Goodey
06-04-2007, 6:42 AM
Where is Arras Memorial, and is it easy to get to?

Depends how you want to travel. For example, Eurostar to Lille, make your way from Lille Europe station to Lille Flandres and get the train to Arras.

I'd ask a travel agent if I were you.

keith9351
06-04-2007, 9:34 AM
They were part of 29th Division, 86th Brigade. The link below shows the battles this Division fought in, If he died of his wounds soon after being shot you should be able to match the action and location of this battalion.

http://www.1914-1918.net/29div.htm

Keith

amumto4boys
06-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Elly,

Have checked Findmypast also, and Albert is the West Drayton Albert Wardle.

I also have his record from TNA and it has this info:

Corps: L/R Fus Rank: Pte Regt No: GS/14232

Under Medal Roll it has:

Victory: TP/104b7 Page: 652
British: /do Page: do
15 Star: TP/63b2 Page: 102

Remarks: K in A: 21/4/1917

Theatre of War first served in: (2B) Balkans
Date of Entry there in: 4-12-15

I'm going to check the links everyone has posted, and try to see if I can work out where he died. Thanks to all who posted the links for me.

Kathie.

Terry Reeves
08-04-2007, 5:17 PM
Kathie

The War Diary for 2nd RF is held at the National Archive. This will give you a day to day account of their movements and what was happening to them. The files you need to consult are WO95 / 4310 and WO95 / 2301

See also "Cheerful Sacrifice" by Jonathan Nichols, which is a first class account of the Battle of Arras.

Terry Reeves