PDA

View Full Version : wood families of macclesfield and district

margaret bird
01-04-2007, 12:09 PM
As part of my study of my Wood family line I am interested in three brother Richard, Charles and Samuel Wood, silk manufacturers in Macclesfield late eighteenth and early ninteenth centuries. Particularly interested in why a daughter of Charles- Lydia was born in Russia in 1848. Although i have a list of baptisms for his other children cannot find them on census before 1861. Charles may have died c 1854 and both he and Samuel were mayors. Samuel dead by 1823 and no dates for Richard-possibly brothers were born in manchester. Is anyone out there researching this line or silk industry. Margaret

Mona
18-03-2008, 8:39 PM
Just found this post after a search, as I have just discovered a John Wood, born in Macclesfield, who married Dinah Jackson in Feb 1846 in Manchester Cathedral.
I do not know who his parents were.
He died between 1861 and 1866. Any connection?

uksearch
19-03-2008, 12:36 PM
I dunno about his mum, but his dad was Henry WOOD, a plasterer.

UK

Mona
19-03-2008, 1:52 PM
That was quick, UK super-sleuth! So who was Dinah Jacksons father??????:D

uksearch
19-03-2008, 7:54 PM
Robert JACKSON, a Painter.

UK

Mona
19-03-2008, 8:14 PM
thanks, fellow wythenshawian, you are such a gem!

how many posts does it take to become an emerald star?

uksearch
19-03-2008, 8:45 PM
Not sure 2000 maybe 3000 ??? Where in the Black Hole are you from?

UK

Mona
19-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Spent my first 12 years in Woodhouse Park!!!!!!! but thankfully moved to Bath in 1967. Did end up back in Manchester to study, before leaving again.
Got quite a shock when I drove through there a couple of years ago. I recall there being a farm at the bottom of the road in my early years.

Keeping on topic, and coming full circle.... I remember visiting Shrigley Hall, near Macclesfield, with my family in the 1960s. It was a school/college run by the Salesians, (now a hotel).
It is in my half-brother's paternal line that I have just discovered the Wood ancestors from this area.

Was there any other info on the Wood/Jackson marriage?????

uksearch
20-03-2008, 7:10 PM
Collegiate & Parish Church of Manchester Feb 22nd 1846
John WOOD, Full, Widower, Painter, 9 Albert St. Father, Henry WOOD, Plasterer & Dinah JACKSON, Full, Spinster, 4 Mount St, Chorlton on Medlock. Father, Robert JACKSON, Painter. Married…after Banns…Both signed. Witnesses Agness L??????Y & Samuel FILDES.

UK

Mona
20-03-2008, 7:20 PM
Thanks UK, that is TWO pints I now owe you!

margaret bird
24-03-2008, 10:34 AM
thanks Mona and Emerald star. Liked your exchanges! Not sure if my wood family but will add info to my data base. Emerald presume you are a librarian- that was my career too- started in Stockport in 1960, now retired. Worshipper

Mona
24-03-2008, 12:01 PM
I found a John Wood, plasterer, Pickford St, Macclesfield in the 1928/29 Pigot's Directory of Cheshire. I could not find him on the 1841 census, too many John Woods, and he may have been married to his first wife by then, and living in Manchester.

margaret bird
03-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks Mona. Will add info to my files.Regards. Worshiper

gileswood
14-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Richard Wood was my ancestor. He had two brothers called Charles and Samuel, with whom he ran the cotton mills, but it was his son Charles who had a daughter called Lydia born in St Petersburg. She was one of five children born there, including my great grandfather, another Richard. When Ryle's Bank collapsed in 1841, the Wood family's loan was called in, which ruined them. A wealthy friend, whose identity I don't know, then offered Charles the opportunity to set up what was known as "The British Factory" in St Petersburg, teaching people in Russia how to weave better goods.

Christine Bloxham
08-04-2010, 10:43 AM
As part of my study of my Wood family line I am interested in three brother Richard, Charles and Samuel Wood, silk manufacturers in Macclesfield late eighteenth and early ninteenth centuries. Particularly interested in why a daughter of Charles- Lydia was born in Russia in 1848. Although i have a list of baptisms for his other children cannot find them on census before 1861. Charles may have died c 1854 and both he and Samuel were mayors. Samuel dead by 1823 and no dates for Richard-possibly brothers were born in manchester. Is anyone out there researching this line or silk industry. Margaret

Dear Margaret,
Richard, Charles and Samuel were brothers, sons of Charles Wood and Francis Stringer of Manchester. Richard's son Charles went to set up a cotton industry in St Petersburg and several of his children including my great grandfather Richard Gellibrand Wood were born there.
What is your connection with the Wood family?
Christine Bloxham

margaret bird
12-04-2010, 8:42 AM
Hi Christine. You've managed to fill in a bit more about the Woods. They are not actually my line-my Wood ancestors probably worked in your ancestors mills as many of my woods-including my mother worked in the mills in Macclefield.Have you been in contact with Macclesfield Silk Museum ? They have done some research into your Woods sparked by my own query to them about the Wood family. Regards. Margaret.

Christine Bloxham
20-04-2010, 9:16 AM
Dear Margaret,
I spent a week in Macclesfield last year and the Silk Museum was very helpful, and I am still processing some of the information they gave me. The Wood family history is very complex as Samuel Wood, died 1752 in Macclesfield, a silk merchant, had a vast family, and I have not been able to track down what happened to most of them outside my direct line, who moved to Manchester for several generations, during which time they became cotton manufacturers, coming back to Macclesfield. Samuel's children were Samuel, Mary, George, John, Elizabeth, Cornelius, Anna, Martha, Richard, William (my ancestor) and Ellen. Are you by any chance descended from any of William's brothers? I believe there is a memorial tablet in Macclefield church to the family, but I have not been able to find it.
What sort of jobs were your ancestors doing in the cotton mills?
Best wishes
Christine

margaret bird
26-04-2010, 8:37 AM
Hi Christine. Thanks for information. My family too far down the social scale to be related to yours. My grandfather, Abraham Wood worked at bleach works in Bollington then BWA's at the bottom of fence Avenue until his mid eighties.Dont know what he did there apart from packing department at the end. I remember going to see him there and also my grandma and his sister. Mum worked in the silk mills- one down near what is now Arighi Biancis furniture showrooms. My other grandmother and her sister were embroideresses at mill on Mill Road-could have been a Woods mill. My mother's wedding dress was made of Macclesfield silk. I think mum's mill made silk for parachutes during the war.Regartds. Margaret.

Wadjela
29-06-2011, 9:40 AM
My 3x great-grandfather was Samuel Wood, who was Mayor of Macclesfield around 1814. He married Sarah Ryle and had, I think, two sons. One of them was John Ryle Wood, my ancestor, who eventually became a Canon of Worcester Cathedral. I hope this is of some use to you in your research.

margaret bird
04-07-2011, 8:43 AM
Hi Wajela. Thanks for your info- it adds a little more to my research. Your Woods are not my line--my Woods probably worked in your family's mills as my mother, her parents and close families worked in the Macclesfield silk mills untilrly 1970's. If you want to find more info about your Woods contact Macclesfield Silk Museum as they have done some research into the Woods- they do have a web site. Regards. margaret