PDA

View Full Version : Brett

BeeE586
15-03-2007, 1:16 PM
For years I have been searching for the baptism and antecedents of one Dennis Brett. I have him marrying iDorothy Ward n NTT Bilsthorpe in 1803, when he iss tated to be 'of Rufford', and an age at death and on Census suggests a birth date c1780. In 1841 he is living NTT Edwinstowe, and in 1851 is supposedly born in that place. I have found no trace of a baptism, burial of earlier generations - indeed the name appears only infrequently in the area and I have trawled many registers. He is buried DBY Shirland where his daughter, Faith Boot resides. In Edwinstowe churchyard there is a memorial stone to a Dennis Brett that I have assumed is an earlier generation although I have found no burial details in the register.

Reference to Surname Profiler for 1881 shows the greatest concentration in East Anglia and to a lessere extents, the South east of the country.

Please, has anyone come across any reference to the name BRETT, especially to a Dennis ?

Eileen

PropPete
26-06-2007, 2:02 PM
One of my cousin's family branches were Bretts. Emily Brett was bc1833 in Wetheringsett. In 1861 she was a milk maid in Bentley. She married Henry Clarke bc1842 Bentley. I have a photo of them and their family. Emily's parents were John Brett bc1815 Rishangles and Matilda Everett bc1814 Wetheringsett. Emily's siblings were Zephaniah, Ezekial and Zachariah - I guess the parents must have been keen folowers of the Old Testament! No clue about Dennis though.

Pete

BeeE586
28-06-2007, 3:26 PM
Thank you for that, and for sharing your family names. I have a line which includes Elijah, Job, Josiah, Jeremiah, etc. - must belong to the same church.

Sadly, after about 25 years I have just about given up on the Brett line.

Eileen

PropPete
26-09-2007, 1:18 PM
I've just discovered that a daughter (Caroline Clarke) of a brother (James Clarke) of my g.g.grandmother (Elizabeth Mary Clarke) married Zachariah Brett. They were all born in Wetheringsett. Zachariah was born in 1849 and died in Ipswich in 1880. Perhaps I shouldn't, but I find it surprising that I should first find Zachariah through his sister Emily marrying into an uncle's family, then find he'd married into my family while looking at my g.g.grandmother's tribe! It's a small world, and it was even smaller then.

BeeE586
26-09-2007, 11:17 PM
I know what you mean about the 'small world.' I have family names in the Chesterfield area - Rodgers, Siddall, Hadfield, Topliss, Rimmington, amongst others - and throughout the eighteenth century they all seem to marry each each other.

Still not found Dennis Brett !

Eileen