PDA

View Full Version : George Smallbones of Endford

worynjay
09-03-2007, 6:09 PM
I have an ancestor who appears to have been born and then died, and nothing in between tho he lived for a long time.I cannot find him even in census records. he is George Smallbones, son of James Smallbones b.1766 Coombe Endford Wilts. George was b c1803 and died 1870.He was mentioned in his fathers will dd.1837 as inheriting the leashold properties, outbuildings, appurtenances and orchards at Fittleton. He also inherited an assurance policy. I have found an assurance policy payable to a George Smallbones, but this George was a glazier and diamond cutter, so I don't think it is the right George. Can anyone help with info on George? The rest of the family is quite well researched and can be found by following my signature. This is a huge gap in my tree. If you are able to help out I would appreciate it.

Worynjay
http://chasingmytale.page.tl/

bumblebee
09-03-2007, 7:19 PM
This one on the 1841 is 'Independent'

George Smallbones, age 35 born abt 1806, born Wiltshire, England

with him is Elizabeth Smallbones, born about 1811. - both born in County

Civil parish: Preshute, Hundred: Selkey, Wiltshire

Source information: HO107/1185/11
Folio: 9
Page: 11
Line number: 10
GSU Number: 464201
Sourc Citation: Class: HO107; Civil Parish: Preshute; County: Wiltshire; Enumeration District: 19; Page: 11; Line: 10; GSU roll: 464201.

There also seems to be some Chambers in the same household.

Bumblebee.

bumblebee
09-03-2007, 7:37 PM
There is this 1851 census

George is an Inn Keeper, but both Netheravon and Enford which George and Elizabeth give as their places of birth are less than 2 miles from Fittleton

Civil parish: Vernhams Dean
County/Island: Hampshire

Infant Townsend 6 Mo Grandson
Caroline Amesbury 20 Wife (to Robert)
Robert Amesbury 29 No relation stated...
Elizabeth Smallbone 43 Wife, born Netheravon, Wiltshire.
Emily Smallbone 8 daughter
........George Smallbone 67 I am not sure that this does say 67 on the image, it could be aged 47, born Enford, Wiltshire.
Jane Smallbone 19 daughter
George Townsend 28 Son in Law
Mary Townsend 22 Daughter

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1683; Folio: 566; Page: 15; GSU roll: 193591.

Bumblebee

bumblebee
09-03-2007, 7:53 PM
on this 1841 census Jane and Mary seem to tie in with the above census.

Jane Smallbones 1833 Wiltshire, Enford Wiltshire
Mary Smallbones abt 1777 Wiltshire, Enford Wiltshire Shop Keeper
Mary Smallbones abt 1829 Wiltshire, Enford Wiltshire
William Smallbones abt 1826 Wiltshire, Enford Wiltshire

A Jonathon Smallbones and family in the next household.

Are there any other names that are mentioned in the will.

Bumblebee.

DebbieAnn
09-03-2007, 7:54 PM
I have an ancestor who appears to have been born and then died, and nothing in between tho he lived for a long time.I cannot find him even in census records. he is George Smallbones, son of James Smallbones b.1766 Coombe Endford Wilts. George was b c1803 and died 1870.He was mentioned in his fathers will dd.1837 as inheriting the leashold properties, outbuildings, appurtenances and orchards at Fittleton. He also inherited an assurance policy. I have found an assurance policy payable to a George Smallbones, but this George was a glazier and diamond cutter, so I don't think it is the right George. Can anyone help with info on George? The rest of the family is quite well researched and can be found by following my signature. This is a huge gap in my tree. If you are able to help out I would appreciate it.

Worynjay
http://chasingmytale.page.tl/

He is in the 1851 census with his wife Elizabeth Smallbone and several children. He is at Vernhams Dean, Hampshire, living on Woodside (Rd.), His age is 47, but is mistranscribed so if you were searching on age you might miss it. Elizabeth is 43, and b: Netheravon, Wiltshire. Children are: Jane, 19, Pottern, Wiltshire; Emily, 8, Marloro, Wiltshire; George Townsend, son-in-law, 28, a coachman, Chute, Wiltshire; Mary Townsend, his wife and daughter of George and Elizabeth, 22, Pottern, Wiltshire; a 1-month (transcribed as 6-month) infant Townsend son, born in Vernhams Dean; and Robert and Caroline Amesbury, 27 and 26, husband and wife, he an organist and they visitors, he was b: Devises, Wiltshire. Class: HO107; Piece: 1683; Folio: 566; Page: 15

Does this help?

Debbie

bumblebee
09-03-2007, 7:57 PM
Hi Debbie

See my 1851 post above, we seem to have picked the same census, I think that may be the children in 1841.

Bumblebee.

DebbieAnn
09-03-2007, 8:07 PM
In 1861, he is back living in Wiltshire, and at an inn on Honey Street, in Stanton St. Bernard (looks like 6 Daye Inn). Age given as 68, and occ as laborer.
Class: RG9; Piece: 1290; Folio: 12; Page: 1

Debbie

Edit: listed as widower...

worynjay
13-03-2007, 5:06 PM
Thanks so much for all your help. You are right - he IS in the census but I was checking against ages and this mislead me. I think the ref to him being an agricultural labourer also mislead me. He came from a wealthy family and inherited a fair amount of property and cash from his Dad...The whole family did quite well so I think the agri-laboruer might also be a mis-entry. He was more likely a farmer/employer at tis time. Thanks again for all your help

worynjay

worynjay
13-03-2007, 5:13 PM
Thanks Bumble Bee for your help. The other recipients in the will include Jonathon (living next door), George , Jonathons son James, Georges brother James , Georges sisters Mary and Mary Anne, wife of Mr King.and James wife Mary.

Your help has been just wonderful Tahnks for tking the time with this.
Worynay

on this 1841 census Jane and Mary seem to tie in with the above census.

Jane Smallbones 1833 Wiltshire, Enford Wiltshire
Mary Smallbones abt 1777 Wiltshire, Enford Wiltshire Shop Keeper
Mary Smallbones abt 1829 Wiltshire, Enford Wiltshire
William Smallbones abt 1826 Wiltshire, Enford Wiltshire

A Jonathon Smallbones and family in the next household.

Are there any other names that are mentioned in the will.

Bumblebee.