PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Servicemen in England

David Benson
03-03-2007, 2:43 PM
Has anybody an idea of how to trace Canadian Regiments & men who came to serve in England during the war? I'm interested in finding those that were in the home counties, perhaps passing through to France, particularly late 1940 - early 1941.

AnnB
03-03-2007, 5:24 PM
I've had a quick Google and found a web site for the D-Day Museum. There is a links page at http://www.ddaymuseum.co.uk/links.htm and if you scroll down the page a bit you'll find various links to Canadian sites for WW2. Whether there is anything there which might help, I don't know, but it might be worth looking.

Best wishes
Ann

David Benson
04-03-2007, 6:04 PM
Thanks Ann. There are links to links to links - ad infinitum. Should keep me out of trouble for a while.

Good find. Many thanks.
David

canuck1
18-05-2007, 5:44 PM
HEYO, im a canadian. my father was posted in england during WW2. his name was donald daines. he was 2nd canadian division - transport. you can contact the canadian armed forces public relations. ancestry.org has some listings. dad was from manchester - lancashire originally. he had 1 brother walter daines who was an air raid worker killed in the coventry air raid of 1940

canuck1
06-04-2009, 8:10 PM
he also had a bunch of half brothers and 1 sister by his grandfathers first wife A. CRACKNELL

Jackie Reilly
07-04-2009, 10:48 AM
I researched two of my ancestors who went from the US to Canada to join the Canadian Expeditionary force and come to Europe to fight in WW1. There is so much to tell and it will take time but I will gladly guide you to where I found the most information. First, you should know that every servceman has his/her service record in the archives in the Records office Ottawa. They are kept in box with their name on. In searching for one, I found papers of his nephew in the same box. It was so interesting because there are samples of their writing and details of height, colour of eyes, pay and name of anyone who received payment deducted from their pay and well as next of kin and sadly, any diseases/wounds they suffered. This is a good place to begin to search.

I was extremely fortunate in that a researcher who lived in Canada volunteered to go and 'open the box' for me and photographed all the documents and sent them to me attached to emails. I then selected the ones I wanted hard copies of and he completed all this and posted them. It was quite expensive but I'd had an obsession about the man I found crossing the border into Canada and disappearing and there in the box was what I needed to know.

Sorry this is a long reply but I hope it helps you find your relative. Get back to me if I can be of further assistance.

David Benson
08-04-2009, 9:12 AM
Thanks Jackie - Not sure this will help me at the moment as I only have a 1st name, Bob, so it could be difficult.
Briefly - I was adopted in 1941. I traced my mother who was English and she could only remember his name as Bob, so I was trying to track any Canadian forces groups who were in the area at the time to see if by chance there was only 1 Bob. Bit of a long shot I know.
So far it looks as if it might have been a very small group as the main Canadian forces did not arrive until much later in the war.

canuck1
08-04-2009, 11:18 PM
my father was second division of the canadian armed forces and entered england in early 1940 - volunteer. the first division were there even earlier; as they were the strikers or offensive infantry. my father was support; transport. an uncle served as a canadian pilot for the RAF, and i lost one flying gunner in a B-57 off the coast of holland.

if this was your father, you must find where he joined in canada; even the province would help, otherwise nada.

ian hall
08-06-2009, 8:14 PM
Has anybody an idea of how to trace Canadian Regiments & men who came to serve in England during the war? I'm interested in finding those that were in the home counties, perhaps passing through to France, particularly late 1940 - early 1941.

Hello my name is Ian Hall
I live in Axminster England.
Ive been trying to get contact details of my Grandfarther Chales Hall who served with the canadian forces in sothern england world war 2.
I have been trying for 6 years to no avail.
please help.