PDA

View Full Version : FRIEND-Newark Upon Trent

anotherjrh
16-11-2004, 1:45 AM
I am looking for information on my grandfathers time spent in Newark. They were there on the 1881 census and the 1901 census. In 1881 they lived at 46 Balderton Gate. I have a mantle clock at home presented to James H. J. Friend in 1902 by the Science and Art Students. James H. J. Friend was a carpenter. So I do not know how he got this clock. He emigarated to Canada, and was in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, in 1913 when my mother was born. He married Margaret Alice Simpson of Northumberland but have not been able to find the exact date or where the marriage took place. She emigrated to Canada in 1910. James's father is Abraham Friend born 1837 in Kent, mother Ann Pattison born abt 1833 in Elham, Kent. His brother Ernest, a joiner was living in Newark on the 1901 census, he married Nellie Edwards of Newark. His sister Georgina was living at home with both parents and James in 1901. She was a dressmaker. Her sister, Winifred was living in Shropshire in 1901, also a dressmaker. If anyone has come accross this family I would love to hear from you. I have checked out the school web site but have found nothing on this clock. Any suggestions?
Thanks Rick Hammond-Canada

Procat
16-11-2004, 8:07 AM
Hi Rick,

This appears to be the family in 1871:

Civil parish: St Paul Covent Garden
County/Island: London

Source information: RG10/362
Registration district: Strand
Sub-registration district: St Mary le Strand
ED, institution, or vessel: 1
Folio: 10
Page: 13
Household schedule number: 60

Abraham Friend, 33, B Farningham, Kent, England, Head
Ann Friend, 39, B Elham, Kent, England, Wife
Ernest Friend, 4, B Elham, Kent, England, Son
Georginia Friend, 3, B Kingston on Thames, Daughter,
Richard Friend, 6, B Wolverhampton, Visitor
Winnifred Friend, 1, B Cheswardine, Shropshire, England, Daughter

If you don't already have the information and you think it is them let me know and I can send you the link to the image.

Regards,

anotherjrh
16-11-2004, 5:53 PM
Thanks I do have that information, what i am trying to figure out is where and when he left Newark. I found out recently his brother Ernest also went to Canada but returned to England, I believe Ernest and Georgina were still alive when he died in Calgary in 1942.

Thanks again for taking the time to look up the 1871 census data for me.
Rick-Canada