PDA

View Full Version : 1841 Lookup - Orchestron/VALLIS

HiFly
14-02-2007, 2:32 AM
I have a John Vallis b1799 in the 1851 Census (Source RG9/1310/26/17) - could I ask if SKS could lookup his household in 1841 please?

With him should be his wife Elizabeth b~1794 and some of the following children
Jane b1818
Anne b1820
Henry b1822
Mary b1825
Eliza b1827
Arundele b1830
Emma b1833
Thomas b1835
Elizabeth b1840

It may also be that his mother Ann is with him as his father died 2 years prevously....but she could be in another abode close by.....

TIA HiFly

GeoffD
14-02-2007, 6:35 AM
Orcheston St George HO 107/1177/13, F6 p7
Elston House
John Vallis, 30, Ag Lab, y
Ann do, 15, FS, y
Eliza do, 10, , y
Thomas do, 6, , y
Arnold do, 10, , y
----------------------------------------------------
F7 p8
Elizabeth Valis, 1, , y
------------------------------------------------------
Orcheston St George HO 107/1177/13, F6 p7
Elston House
Ann Vallis, 70, FS, y,
In the household of
John Mills, 25, Independent, y
and a rather large collection of siblings with quite a few servants.

Rummaged up:

Possibly not the right Elizabeth
HO 107/1167/12 F 13 p20
Shrewton
Elizabeth Vallis, 45, FS, y
in a household with
Sarah Maggs, 15, FS, y,
Cathrina, 14, , y
Mary Jane Taner, 25, Dress Maker, y

Also, though I don't know where she might fit in:
HO 107/1167/10 F3 p12
Orcheston St Mary
Elizabeth Vallis, 75, , y
in a household with
John Carter, 70, Ag Lab, y
Grace do, 70, , y
Martha do, 10, , y

There is an Emma Vallese (transcribed as), actually could be Vallis, of the right age in Figheldean, with an Elizabeth Vallis, 47, and Elizabeth Vallis, 1.

I hope that this serves to enlighten, rather than confuse. I could not find some of those childrens' names in Wilts.

HiFly
15-02-2007, 5:00 AM
Thanks for taking the trouble GeoffD, much appreciated.

Rummaged up:

Possibly not the right Elizabeth
HO 107/1167/12 F 13 p20
Shrewton
Elizabeth Vallis, 45, FS, y
in a household with
Sarah Maggs, 15, FS, y,
Cathrina, 14, , y
Mary Jane Taner, 25, Dress Maker, y
Just so I understand right GeoffD - Does the above imply that the above residents surnames are also Vallis? Or just Cathrina??

There is an Emma Vallese (transcribed as), actually could be Vallis, of the right age in Figheldean, with an Elizabeth Vallis, 47, and Elizabeth Vallis, 1.

I hope that this serves to enlighten, rather than confuse. I could not find some of those childrens' names in Wilts.
This is definitely John's wife with children Emma and Elizabeth - any chance of having the details please ? - as I suspect that she was visiting parents or relations in Figheldean, where she was born.

HiFly

GeoffD
15-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Just so I understand right GeoffD - Does the above imply that the above residents surnames are also Vallis? Or just Cathrina??

No, Cathrina has no surname attached. The others are Sarah MAGGS and Mary Jane TANER.

If the 1 year-old Elizabeth with the Figheldean lot is the daughter, then there is the problem of the other 1 year-old Elizabeth with John. But no matter, hang on a bit and I will get the Figheldean mob for you.

HO 107/1165/8 F8 p9
Figheldean
Henry Batchler, 75, Keeper, y
Ann do, 80, , y
Elizabeth Vallis (or Valliss or Vallise), 47, something crossed out, y
Emma do, 7, , y
Elizabeth do, 1, , y

And no need for thanks. I don't mind doing lookups in Wiltshire because I might just stumble across some of my elusive Wilts. bunch in the process.

GeoffD
16-02-2007, 1:03 PM
HO 107/1845 F25 p4

Orcheston St George
John Vallis, Head, Married, 51, Indoor Servant Domestic, Orcheston St George
Elizabeth do, Wife, Married, 56, , Figheldean Wilts
Mary do, Daughter, Unmarried, 25, Domestic Servant, Orcheston St George
Eliza do, Daughter, Unmarried, 23, Domestic Servant, Orcheston St George
Elizabeth Vallis, Daughter, , 10, Scholar, Orcheston St George
Ann Vallis, Mother, Widow, 81, Pauper, Orcheston St George
Elizabeth Vallis, Sister, Unmarried, 48, Gentleman's House Keeper, Orcheston St George
John C Lade, Grandson, , 2, , Orcheston St George

HiFly
17-02-2007, 1:03 AM
Thank GeoffD...complete!

BTW who are your elusive bunch in Wilts? ..just so while I perambulate around the county I can keep a lookout for them!

HiFly

GeoffD
17-02-2007, 3:28 AM
There is this one chap, my great-grandfather's brother, named William Henry TUCKER, b. Bishopstrowe, 1829. I lose him after 1851, by which time he was a footman at Langford Lodge, Burrington, Somerset. It is possible that he emigrated to Australia, either before or after his brother (1871) who had wandered off to be a porter at Clifton Union Workhouse, Gloucestershire, before emigrating.

Their mother is also proving difficult - my great grandfather rather reinvented himself in the Colonies. On his death certificate, her name is recorded as Hester Jacques HERMAND, but it is probable that the 'Jacques' is an invention, and the 'Hermand' is more likely to be HARMON, HARMAN or HERMAN. Born 1799, Warminster, died 1865, Bishopstrow. I have her in all census, but nothing of her antecedents. There are a lot of HARMAN names around Wilts.

idredge
28-02-2007, 9:16 AM
Geoff have you thought that was her maiden name

marriage of James Tucker - Hester Harman 28.10.1822 St Denys, Warminster.

I found this on the IGI so will need checking. Too good to be a fib.

Irene

idredge
28-02-2007, 9:32 AM
Hester Harmon c 16.12.1798 Deverill Longbridge, mother Elizabeth.

Its possible the Jaques comes in some where he may have been giving clues.

Irene

GeoffD
02-03-2007, 3:43 AM
Geoff have you thought that was her maiden name

marriage of James Tucker - Hester Harman 28.10.1822 St Denys, Warminster.

I found this on the IGI so will need checking. Too good to be a fib.

Irene

That was a slip up on my post - I meant to say ... "maiden name is recorded as ..."

I had 29 Oct 1822 in Warminster, but not the St Denys bit. Thanks for looking. I did not have solid info on birth/christening. Maybe Hester's mum was Elizabeth JACQUES?

I have found a few good fibs on IGI - mostly concerning the birthplace of my great-gandfather HALL. And otherwise, I find that I often have more information on ancestors than IGI does, even when the info is correct.

idredge
02-03-2007, 8:39 AM
Geoff

My gg grandfathers brother Daniel Sumsion went to Utah in 1850, his granddaughter Nellie helped set up what must be the IGI now but there wasn't computers in 1910. It took me a while before I realised that if they didn't have a place of birth or marriage they put in the parish were they were living. They had down my gg grandparents as married in Colerne 1844 but they married in Bath 1841 just 3 days before the Census in June. They have removed most the the early ones that were wrong as they are putting on from the registers now.

You mention Hall I have a couple of connections to the Hall's from Colerne Wilts in the 1800's but most moved away and I lost track of them.

Irene

GeoffD
02-03-2007, 8:59 AM
There are 4 entries for Great-grandfather HALL in the Southwest Pacific Database of IGI - 2 have a correct birth date, two have wildly incorrect birth dates, and all have the wrong place of birth. None have sources, and all have this message:

Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church. No additional information is available. Ancestral File may list the same family and the submitter.

One day, I will look into how this might be corrected, but I do have an inkling as to who the submitting LDS member might be.

Later: Turns out that I was wrong on that.

Oh, and he came from Fermanagh, arriving in Australia as a teenager in 1867.

But this is all getting too far away from VALLIS and WIltshire. :o

Thanks again for your efforts on Hester/Esther Harmon/Harman or whatever her name might have been.

HiFly
02-03-2007, 10:35 AM
But this is all getting too far away from VALLIS and WIltshire. :o

Maybe..but a good rellie hunt thread ..no matter on whose rellies they are, is still fascinating reading....

And at least my earlier comment triggered it......:)

HiFly

Kim thelwell
18-05-2016, 7:05 PM
Hi just came across this my grandad was a Vallis and lived in shrewton he had a daughter Murial , who married and became a Thelwell they use too live in maddington I am sure his name was George Vallis .thanks

christanel
18-05-2016, 9:14 PM
I have given Kim Thelwell's post a thread of its own here https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/88076-Vallis-Sibley-Thelwell-in-Wiltshire where some work on her family has already been done so anyone who wants to help please post there.

Christina