PDA

View Full Version : MANNERING-Chilham Kent

anotherjrh
16-11-2004, 1:04 AM
Looking for information on Catherine Mannering born abt 1801 Chilham, Kent. She married James Friend of Hougham in 1828 at Saint Mary The Virgin, Dover, Kent. I am looking for her parents and siblings but so far have found nothing. Is anyone researching this name, drop me a line I would love to hear from you.
Rick Hammond-Canada

johndixon
30-03-2006, 9:56 PM
My Great Grandfather, George Daynes, was employed by the Mannering family at various mills they owned in Kent.
He began working at a mill somewhere near Sittingbourne, Kent. I believe this was owned by the Mannering family.
He then came to Dover where he worked at Stembrook mill, Also owned by the Mannering family.
He then spent his last years at Crabble Corn Mill, in River, near Dover.
The Mannering family lived in a big house on the opposite side of the Road.

The last of the Mannerings moved away from the village about 15-20 years ago. I believe they moved somewhere near Sittingbourne.

One person who might be able to point you in the right direction is Anthony Reed. he is the curator at the mill & has done considerable research on the mannering family. Email:[email protected]

anotherjrh
03-04-2006, 4:25 PM
Thanks for the information John, I have now found her birth and parents in Chilham but her parents were not born there. Will follow up on the River connection to see if they are connected to that line of the Mannerings.
Rick BC Canada