PDA

View Full Version : Anderson/Andrews

BeeE586
10-02-2007, 2:32 PM
All comments welcome.

I have a Richard Anderson in 1901, in DBY Staveley, aged 28, born SAL Broseley and married to Ann Elizabeth Millthorpe, my maternal grandmother's sister. In the register his father's name is given as William.

In 1891 he is in Broseley aged 18, with father William aged 49, mother Sarah and various siblings, all born either Brosely or Madeley. (I know from maps they are close together

There was no trace in 1881, but in 1871 there is William age 28 with Sarah and family living in Broseley

No trace in 1861, so I went back to 1881 and did a search And*, which turned up William ANDREWS age 39, with Sarah and a comparable family, living in Brosely.

In 1861 Willliam Andrews age 18, born and living in Madely with mother Sarah, a widow, and various siblings.

cont ..............

BeeE586
10-02-2007, 3:20 PM
I have looked at all the actual images, and both names are quite clearly written - it is not mistranscribed.

However, in 1851 William Anderson age 7 is living in Shrewsbury as grandson to Mary Powell, giving place of birth as Shrewsbury.

In 1861 Sarah has other children ............

Ellen age 10
James age 16
Robert age 12
Susannah age 28 all supposedly born Madeley

I would expect the latter three to show up in 1851 under whatever name as children of Sarah (hopefully plus spouse) but there is no sign, nor of Sarah herself.

cont ..........

BeeE586
10-02-2007, 3:25 PM
A recent thread was on the subject of reasonable proof. What do other posters make of this ? Is it safe to assume that I am dealing with the same family - no other solution presented itself - and where do I go from here in the Census ?

Any suggestions most gratefully received.

Eileen

BeeE586
13-02-2007, 6:32 PM
Further to my previous posts .............

However, in 1851 William Anderson age 7 is living in Shrewsbury as grandson to Mary Powell aged 72, giving place of birth as Shrewsbury.

Also in 1851, Mary Anderson, Gr/dau aged 19 and John Grifffiths, Gr/son aged 25.

In 1841 there is a Benjamin Powell aged 60 in Shrewsbury with Mary aged 60 (comparable with 72 in 1851) and living 2 doors away George and Emma Anderson both aged 35 with children including Mary aged 9 - again comaprable with Mary aged 19 in 1851.

Next door are Charles and Ann Griffiths, with children including a son John age 15 - 25 in 1851.

cont .............

BeeE586
13-02-2007, 6:45 PM
Reference to the IGI shows two marriages .......

In 1825 Charles Griffiths to Ann Powell at Shrewsbury St Mary

In 1831 George Anderson to Emma Powell at Shrewsbury St Chad.

Are Ann and Emma children of Benjamin and Mary ?

If my reasoning is correct, Mary Anderson and John Griffiths are quite probably grand-children of Mary Powell as shown in 1851; Mary is quite probably daughter of George and Emma Anderson (not Andrews in spite of later Census), but is it safe to assume that William is her brother and also child of this couple ?

If anyone is researching these families I would love to hear, or if someone visiting Shrewsbury Record Office could spare a little time to either confiirm or refute my resoning I would be grateful. ........... |bowdown|

Eileen