PDA

View Full Version : Late Civil Marriage Registration - KENNON & VALLELY in Co. Armagh

rascalz
01-02-2007, 4:41 AM
Please, I need someone's help.

Would anyone be willing to check the Marriage Index volume for a late Civil Marriage registration in 1888? I understand the late Marriages in particular were written in by hand in the main body of the index.

From Irish Ancestors:

"For marriages, late registrations are written in by hand at the relevant point in the main body of the index. Although the chances of finding a missing registration among these is quite slim, it is still necessary to include them in any thorough search of the Indexes."

I have checked for the normal marriage entry with the GRO, had several people as well as Ulster Ancestry check for this marriage in Markethill (as well as all other districts) without any luck. All claim to have checked spelling variations for me.

I suspect they may have been married in Ballymacnab but I have no hard evidence.

John KENNON (CANNON, KENNAN)
Alice VALLELY (aka Alley VALLELY)
Married
29 April 1888 in Loughgilly R.C. Church, Armagh but lived in Clady beg. Their children's births were registered in Markethill.

Regards,
Nancy Atkinson

get2BJ
05-02-2007, 9:58 PM
Hi rascalz,

They appear on an index for marriages here: http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/frame_1280.cfm

Use the quick search and put in John Kennon and click search. This site offers to email you full details of the marriage for 20 Euros, and they show these details as an example:

Marriage record

ARMAGH RC
Married 4th November 1879
Daniel Clarke of Armagh to
Anne Tole of Armagh.
Witnesses: Mark McClatchey & Catherine Lappin
Comment: Married by Rev. F. Daly in St Patrick's Roman Catholic Cathedral

These RC records very rarely give any other details. Occasionally on the later marriage registers they will record where they were baptised or occasionally their addresses. Some will also include if the groom or bride were alternative religion.

There are also 12 John Kennon births indexed there, 11 of which were in Armagh.

Hope this helps,

Brenda

get2BJ
05-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Would anyone be willing to check the Marriage Index volume for a late Civil Marriage registration in 1888? I understand the late Marriages in particular were written in by hand in the main body of the index.
Under what circumstances would a marriage have to be registered late I wonder?

I found this: http://www.groireland.ie/research.htm Scroll right down to the bottom until you find:
4.Check all 4 Quarters for each year - where it states that...'Births which were registered late are at the back of the Index for each year.'

Perhaps that's where you'll find the late entries for some marriages also? Worth a try, I would think.

Best wishes

Brenda

rascalz
06-02-2007, 4:21 AM
Brenda,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I already received the very brief details provided by the service quoted at the website you mentioned. It says they were married in Loughgilly but all the previous searches of the civil marriage registration indexes included all registration districts. No sign of them.

rascalz
06-02-2007, 4:24 AM
Hi again Brenda,

When I quoted from Irish Ancestors in my original posting, it too mentioned late BIRTHS were listed at the back of the index. However, it specifically said different regarding late MARRIAGES.

That's why I was hoping (wishing) someone could check for me.

But I certainly do appreciate your suggestions.

Nancy

rascalz
03-03-2007, 3:07 PM
Please, I need someone's help.

From Irish Ancestors:

"For marriages, late registrations are written in by hand at the relevant point in the main body of the index. Although the chances of finding a missing registration among these is quite slim, it is still necessary to include them in any thorough search of the Indexes."

I have checked for the normal marriage entry with the GRO, had several people as well as Ulster Ancestry check for this marriage in Markethill (as well as all other districts) without any luck. All claim to have checked spelling variations for me.

I suspect they may have been married in Ballymacnab but I have no hard evidence.

John KENNON (CANNON, KENNAN)
Alice VALLELY (aka Alley VALLELY)
Married
29 April 1888 in Loughgilly R.C. Church, Armagh but lived in Clady beg. Their children's births were registered in Markethill.

Regards,
Nancy Atkinson
Bumping to the top.