PDA

View Full Version : Help reading occupation, please

Davran
31-01-2007, 4:40 PM
Can anyone help read the occupation of Charles Hickmott please?

Ref: RG9/491 fol25 p11 Sched 51

The first word looks like 'working', but I can't read the other word.

Mutley
31-01-2007, 5:50 PM
Hello Davron
I am sorry I cannot make it out either. It does look like working and the first letter of the next word could be J or G. It looks like it ends in ----dler. If he is the Charles married to Lucy in the next census that is hard to read too. Looks like a Baker.
A roam around this site may give you a clue.
http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/index.html

Sorry

Davran
31-01-2007, 6:07 PM
Thanks for looking, Mutley. I've looked on the website, but can't see anything like it. I'll just have to give up. It was from a census piece I'm checking and the transcriber couldn't read it either!

Geoffers
31-01-2007, 6:32 PM
'Working jeweller'

Geoffers

Mutley
31-01-2007, 6:33 PM
Oooh don't give up....
I am sure that once the oldies come on line
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i212/Ronja05/Smilies/_surrender__revamped_by_bad_blood.gif
you will have an answer. :D

Told yer so!!!

AnnB
31-01-2007, 6:39 PM
Could it be 'working jeweller'?

Best wishes
Ann

(Sorry, Geoffers beat me to it :o )

Davran
31-01-2007, 6:47 PM
Oh, brilliant!! Thanks Geoffers and Ann. It's so obvious when you know..... I did think it was JE at the beginning, but then got confused by the ending which looked like DLER. I obviously need more practice.:o

I |bowdown| to your superior skills.

Geoffers
31-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Oooh don't give up....
I am sure that once the oldies come on line.

At 21, AnnB can hardly be so described.

One the image is enlarged slightly, the apparant ending 'dler' clearly splits up to read 'eller', which makes reading the start easier.

Geoffers the oldie

Mutley
31-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Sorry, I meant old as in Forum ages |blush|
I did wave a surrender flag........ cos I knew I'd need it......

My very best wishes
Mutley
Geoffers - You are clever oldie though are you not? Next time I will be more careful and say "experienced members" That sounds good to me ;)

AnnB
01-02-2007, 8:51 AM
At 21, AnnB can hardly be so described.

Geoffers the oldie
Well, thank you kind sir.

Although, when I read Mutley's reference to 'the oldies' it went in one eye and out the other :o

In the time it took me to look up Davran's query, you had looked it up and posted the reply - pretty nifty for an oldie, if you ask me ;)

Ann the flattered

Davran
01-02-2007, 4:20 PM
I think it must be the label "senior member" that does it - like "senior citizen". Perhaps Rod can devise a new label for us to indicate capability rather than number of posts - maybe a star system. I think you ALL deserve 5 star ratings.;)