PDA

View Full Version : The Wives of George Trim, Chideock

rasmusseneric
29-01-2007, 4:23 AM
On 23/12/06 I posted a thread asking for information on George Trim.
(See "The Trims of Chideock c1840-80" below). I got some good info from ChristineR (Victoria, Oz) and Victoria of Canada.

It appeared, then, that George married an Anna Virgin in Taunton in 1866. Anna died in 1881 and George emigrated to Australia the year after. Seems logical! He remarried and his wife outlived him by some eight years.

I now have George's Death Certificate from 1920. In this he ( or his second wife) states he first married Hannah Newbury in Somerset, England. Anna Virgin is not mentioned.

I have not been able to find a marriage to Hannah Newbury using FreeBDM and Ancestry. Can anyone help?

Regrads, Eric

Postscript: 31/1/07:- Anna Virgin and (H)anna Newbery were one and the same. Anna Virgin was a widow when she married George in 1866. Her original maiden name was Newbery. Mystery solved by arrival of the Marriage Certificate showing her father to be Thomas Newbery.
Eric

ChristineR
29-01-2007, 11:45 AM
He couldn't state his first wife's name - he was dead. :D
The information is only as good as the knowledge of the informant. It is pretty common for the name of the first spouse to be wrong or omitted on a death certificate, unless it is one of the children from that first marriage giving the information. Anna and Hannah are very similar names, and the surname is probably one that the informant remembers from the family - not necessarily the right one for the first wife.

Christine

ChristineR
29-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I just reread your other thread (and corrected my comment on wife being Mary - she was Anna)

Do you have the marriage of George and Anna VIRGIN - it may well turn out that her maiden name is NEWBURY?

Christine

rasmusseneric
29-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I have ordered the certificate based on the following GRO reference: George Trim/Ann Virgin Year: 1866; Qtr: Sept; District: Taunton; Vol: 5c; p582 as obtained from FreeBMD and Victoria of Canada

Eric