PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm McLeod, Imperial Yeomanry, killed Klerksdorp

cdfj
28-01-2007, 3:45 PM
I am resident overseas and trying to find details of the death on my great-uncle Malcolm McLeod, who served in the Imperial Yeomanry, killed at Klerksdorp on 13 Nov 1901. The GRO Natal and South African Forces Deaths Indices list an M. McLeod of 6 Imperial Yeomanry, recorded on page 696. I believe his service details (from Kevin Asplin's website) are Malcolm McLeod, 32714, Private 107th Coy., 6th Bn. Imperial Yeomanry.

I understand there are no regimental diaries for the units in the Boer War. Are there any other good sources that could shed light on what actions the 6th Imperial Yeomanry were in at Klerksdorp around that time?

Thanks!

neil1821
28-01-2007, 5:11 PM
Hi there!
I have the Boer War casualty roll, which records slightly different information.
In the 6th Imperial Yeomanry, the entry is:
32707 Pte M. McLeod, 6th IY, wounded at Brakspruit on 13 November 1901 and died later the same day. None of the battalion's casualties are listed as being at Klerksdorp.

Sorry to confuse the issue! I'll check to see if there are any other M.McLeods
Neil

cdfj
30-01-2007, 7:40 AM
Many thanks, Niel!
The mention of Klerksdorp is from a family gravestone. I've just checked a route planner for South Africa and Brakspruit is only 17 miles from Klerksdorp, and I guess Klerksdorp was the local HQ, or where his body was taken. So you haven't confused the issue at all - on the contrary, I'm very indebted to you for the additional details!
Charles

neil1821
30-01-2007, 8:47 PM
You're welcome.
The more I consider it, you're right, the two bits of information aren't incompatible.

To give you the wider picture, 6th IY had 4 killed at Brakspruit that day, 9 wounded (2 later died including McLeod), and 18 taken prisoner by the Boers. A significant encounter then!

Neil

cdfj
06-02-2007, 9:46 AM
Thanks again, Neil! That adds quite a lot to my understanding of what happened.
I found a reference on the internet in Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Great Boer War", chapter "The Spring Campaign", that says "One of Colonel Hickie's Yeomanry patrols was roughly handled near Brakspruit upon November 13th...", but that's all I've found. Could you tell me where you found these details, please?
Charles