PDA

View Full Version : William Broe - born Dublin - 1856 - help!!

mikebroe
22-01-2007, 8:35 PM
I am tracing my great grandfather, William, and need some help as to how to progress back further in Ireland.

I know that he was born in Dublin on 21st August 1856 and left to join the Royal Navy at Devonport on 1st January 1873. During a period of coastguard duty he married Mary Teresa McCarthy (born in Cork about 1859) in Cobh (then Queenstown) on 13th November 1883. According to their marriage certificate his father was William (then deceased) a butcher by trade.

I have a copy of the 1851 Dublin City cenus which shows a Wm Broe resident at 3, Riddalls Row, in the parish of St. Marys on the Northside of Dublin. I don't know whether this is his father but I would like to think so.

I am aware of the problems with records in Ireland but I wonder if there is anyone out there that can help. As you can tell I have had some great help from Ireland in the past.

Thanks

Mike

annewilson
22-09-2007, 6:39 AM
I have the same problem with this family name. My ancestor Thomas Broe/Brough was also born in Dublin but in 1824 and his father is apparently named John. He was born in Rathfarnham but the only records I can find are after 1850 when there are a few baptisms of this name in that parish. My Thomas also joined the army but was recruited in Dublin to the 69th reg of Foot and ended up in Hobart as a soldier on a convict ship in 1846 with his wife and son who was born on the trip out. They subsequently went to Wellington NZ in the 1850s and he remained there. Thomas is my brick wall!!!!

Sue Mackay
22-09-2007, 7:46 AM
Ancestry's Irish Records database contains the following:
Joanna Broe born 2 Dec 1864 Kilbrittain Co. Cork, do Demund Broe & Joanna McCarthy.
Dennis Broe born 29 Aug 1864 Midleton Co. Cork, so John Broe & Ellen Shea.
Eliza Broe born 7 Nov 1865 Miedleton Co. Cork, do William Broe & Mary Donovan.

mikebroe
24-09-2007, 4:11 PM
Anne,

Thanks for the reply. Since my original message I have discovered over the past few days three different addresses for a William Broe in Dublin. My next step is to check Thom's Dublin Directory for that period in 1845 - 1855.

In relation to your relative, Thomas, it is becoming very clear to me as I carry out more research, just how many of the Broe family there are in Australia. Some went voluntarily and two others I discovered were convicts. Some I know are close relatives.

Thanks

Mike

mikebroe
24-09-2007, 4:13 PM
Sue,

Thanks for the information. I am unable to connect any of these persons but some of the names do run in the family. I shall bear this in mind.

Thanks

Mike