PDA

View Full Version : Barrister's Clerk

velyn
22-01-2007, 6:30 PM
Hi - I am helping an elderly cousin with his Clarke family who were often Barrister's Clerks in the census. Henry James Clarke born about 1829, and his 1859 marriage certificate shows his father as William Clarke, Butler. Henry's sons were also Barrister's Clerks and I am wondering how to find a 'paper trail' for this occupation that would give me more information about him. There are so many Clarkes to sort out. He gave his birthplace as Middlesex, London but lived in Tottenham. Family rumour thinks there may have been a judge in the family.

Trish
22-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi - I am helping an elderly cousin with his Clarke family who were often Barrister's Clerks in the census. Henry James Clarke born about 1829, and his 1859 marriage certificate shows his father as William Clarke, Butler. Henry's sons were also Barrister's Clerks and I am wondering how to find a 'paper trail' for this occupation that would give me more information about him. There are so many Clarkes to sort out. He gave his birthplace as Middlesex, London but lived in Tottenham. Family rumour thinks there may have been a judge in the family.I see him on the 1881 census [reference: RG11/2157 Folio 51 Page 55] living in Devon but you probably have that information, right?

Trish

velyn
23-01-2007, 2:43 AM
I see him on the 1881 census [reference: RG11/2157 Folio 51 Page 55] living in Devon but you probably have that information, right?

Trish
Yes, I have this info. as well as a separate 1881 census record for his children where his oldest daughter was acting as 'head'. He seems to have died that same year so he may have been trying to recuperate in Devon. I also have his Barrister Clerk son Henry in 1881, and Patent Agent William, both from his first marriage. The family are together in the 1871 census, and this includes Henry senior's older unmarried sister Sarah who says she was born in Hinckley, Leicester (1810). Again, there are a few Sarah Clarke's from Hinckley on the IGI, but I had forgotten about them and should re-check. I have also just noticed that in 1861 he states he is a 'law writer', born Midd. Soho, he was about 32. With all the law-related occupations I would like to know how to research this.