PDA

View Full Version : Brother against brother

johnadey
16-01-2007, 8:17 AM
I realise that it may not be a possible to generalise but in most cases was peoples loyalty to a particular side during the civil war determined by personal belief, religion, geographical location or class? In some cases would the war have divided families?

My own family were strongly non-conformist and family tradition says that they fought with the parliamentarians which makes sense to me as they would have been persecuted by both the established church and the government.

Regards & thanks
John Adey

IvorCarr
17-01-2007, 7:38 AM
The simple answer to the question would be yes. Personal belief, religion, geographical location and class all played a part in determining alligence to which could be added ethnicity according to at least one historian. The current academic model leans towards religion as the big divider.
Of course by the time you reach the rank and file, after the first year of the war both sides relied increasingly on conscription so location would be the main factor.
Many families were indeed split by the war.

sarahjane
15-02-2007, 8:10 PM
Can anyone tell me about the Wolstenholme family of Rochdale, i need historical fact that they a) exiled to Holland and came back to England with William of Orange. b) were they a divided family? Sir John Wolstenholme of London was a royalist, family belief is the Rochdale ones were Parliamentists. c) another myth is that part of the family broke away and changed the name to Woosnam and settled in Wales after or during the War taking the dead father with them and buring him as a Woosnam in Wales meanwhile leaving the widow and a daughter in Rochdale. None of it makes sense to me. Any help is greatly recieved.