PDA

View Full Version : Parish Records - St George the Martyr, Southwark

ChristinaB
15-01-2007, 2:16 PM
Hello,

Can anyone tell me where the original Parish records of St George the Martyr, Southwark, for the years 1845 and 1847 are kept? I have copies of 2 marriage certificates from the PRO, but now I think I need to compare actual signatures on the original register, to try and prove a connection.

I thought I was getting somewhere, but you know how it is ......

Thank you
Chris

Mythology
15-01-2007, 2:58 PM
London Metropolitan Archives.

It's a busy church, and from the info on their "London Generations" database, there are three registers covering that period, 1844 April to 1845 September, 1845 September to 1847 January, and 1847 January to 1848 May - but they are all on the same microfilm, X092/045, and, of course, you have the precise dates from those GRO certs, so they should be very easy to find.

Mythology
15-01-2007, 3:17 PM
I have no idea whereabouts you are, but if London is a hassle, while I don't *think* they have these ones on film, you could *try* the LDS catalogue (http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitysearch&columns=*,0,0) if there's one of their Family History Centres near you.

I'm afraid I have no patience with them, and, having clicked on something labelled Marriage Documents which says it relates to "persons having a residential connection with the borough of Surrey (London)", I gave up - you might do better than I did if you try harder.

zumblie
10-09-2008, 9:36 PM
Have you tried Southwark Local Studies Library at 211 Borough High Street, Southwark to see if any information can be found.
I have visited there before and they were most helpful. I have had a look at their current parish register listings on the internet and they hold microfiche for St George the Martyr
They have a website and you can check which dates for the St George they hold. If there is a match for you on the date ranges they will carry out a postal lookup for £2.00. there is a form you can download from their site on the internet to apply.
Hope this is helpful