PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Births & Marriages 1924-1934

peter nicholl
11-01-2007, 8:23 PM
I have found Frederick, Jean and Doris Nicholl living in NJ at the time of the Federal 1930 Census. Frederick and Jean married around 1927 and Doris was born around 1929. I believe both events happened in NJ. How do I find out more?

Peter

Leander
12-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Hi Peter,

You could try the Social Security Death Index at Rootsweb.

If you search by the surname only, you'll see that there are a few people on that list that could be yours. I'll look around and see if there's anything to be found, such as WWII registration cards and the like; it's just that most of the records are too new to be public.

Deb

peter nicholl
12-01-2007, 7:54 PM
Hi Deb

Thank you for the info. I've tried your link, unfortunately without success. The situation is complicated as they were back in Scotland by about 1940. I suppose that having been somewhat spoilt by the rather easy access to BMD Registers for England and Wales, I had assumed that the US would have something similar. But that's the way it goes.
Thanks again
Peter

Geoffers
13-01-2007, 11:48 AM
I suppose that having been somewhat spoilt by the rather easy access to BMD Registers for England and Wales, I had assumed that the US would have something similar.
Oh no, much more complicated. I've only hunted for New York records and been disappointed at their variable availability. However, you might first try going through links on this URL for guidance in NJ
http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/index.shtml

Good luck, I think you may need it.
Geoffers

PS A distant American cousin applied for an old US certificate, paid the money and waited 9-10 months for it to arrive, so don't expect a rapid response.

Leander
13-01-2007, 1:11 PM
Hi Peter,

I could not find Frederick in various military records. That's not surprising, as he was probably an "in-betweener" -- too young for WWI and too old for WWII.

Actually, there are some states that have put some of their records directly on line. Unfortunately, New Jersey, along with most others, is not one of them.

Americans are quite distrustful of centralized government (for better or worse), so vital records, with few exceptions, are the domain of the individual states, each with their own rules and regulations. Each also have varying levels of resources to commit to such a task, so it is usually up to local and regional historical societies or for-profit corporations to acquire, catalog, and finally publish those records.

You could request those records here: http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/tips.shtml

Genealogical requests are serviced quite slowly; it can take up to 3.5 months for the record(s) to be sent. New Jersey has a rather large population, so it seems that their priority is providing vital documents for their living constituency.

Best wishes,

Deb

peter nicholl
13-01-2007, 5:34 PM
Hi Deb and Geoffers

Thanks to both of you.

Peter

Agnes
14-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi Peter

I use "Geoffrey Cooper at NJ Research" and can highly recommend his services.

He will charge $17.50 for a marriage certificate for the dates you require (his prices have recently gone up from $16). He goes to the Archives and sends a copy (not a certified certificate)

I generally recieve them in about 10 days here in England and the first one that I asked for was my Grandmother's death, all I knew was that it was in 1932 in New Jersey but I had no idea of the county or city.

My bank charges me £5 for a International money order and so the cost overall works out at about £15

Hope this helps you

Best wishes

Agnes

Leander
29-01-2007, 6:31 AM
Peter,

If you're still interested I will be going to New Jersey on business at the end of February and can make time for some lookups.

Let me know what info you are looking for and I'll try to find it.

Best wishes,

Deb

peter nicholl
31-01-2007, 6:19 PM
Firstly to Agnes an apology for keeping you waiting for a "Thank you" for the info. on Geoffrey Cooper. I was hoping to be able to say that I had found an answer, but ... I sent an e-mail to the local church and the feedback from their webmaster was both helpful and positive, however, as he could not answer the questions he sent them off to those he thought might help. Nothing back so far. So, Thanks Agnes.

Hi Deb, Thank you for your kind offer. The information I have is from the US Federal Census of 1930, New Jersey, Englewood City, Bergen County, 151 Elmore Avenue. Frederick Nicholl, age 29, age at first marriage 26, year of immigration 1924: Jean Nicholl, age 30, age at first marriage 27, year of immigration 1924: Doris Nicholl, age 1 year 11 months, born New Jersey. There was also a further daughter, June, but I'm not sure where she was born. She was about 3 or 4 years younger than Doris. I'm afraid that is all I have to go on, I hope it helps. Obviously let me know the costs involved so that I can reimburse you. If something comes up meantime I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Peter

Leander
03-02-2007, 4:53 PM
No problem, Peter. I will be there the week of the 26th, and doing research will probably be the most fun part of the trip. :-)

There should be no cost, as I can get images of documents (assuming I find them) with my equipment. And, heck, I'm not going to worry about a few dollars.

I'll also see if anything can be found on-line.

Will be in touch one way or the other.

peter nicholl
05-02-2007, 6:27 PM
Deb

Thanks

Peter

Leander
16-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi Peter,

Good news -- I found Frederick & Jean's marriage certificate!

New Jersey's records are indexed by year and I found the certificate in 1928.

Jean's maiden name was Carmichael, and her parents were Donald Carmichael & Jean Farrell.

Frederick's parents are listed as George Henry Francis Nicholl and Charlotte Stiles.

If you would like the copy of the marriage certificate just send me a private message with your address and I'll send that off next week. Unfortunately there's a major snowstorm coming through today and it will last well into Saturday, so I won't be able to send it over the weekend.

For the bad news -- the cutoff year for public birth records is 1923 (to protect the living), so only family members may order birth records after 1923. And, those records have to be obtained from the State and not from the archives. Therefore, I couldn't search for, let alone obtain, Doris' and June's birth certificates.

Sorry this took so long; our trip was delayed, and I've been having trouble getting into the forum...it must be a very busy place lately. :-)

Anyhow, I hope the info is useful.

Cheers!

Deb

peter nicholl
16-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi Deb
Thank you ever so much, that's totally brilliant. |jumphappy

Hope the snowstorm is not too bad.

Best regards

Peter