PDA

View Full Version : Army Death cert (WW2) - order from GRO online?

SueL
06-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Can anyone help me on this?

I have ordered a few BMD certs online from the GRO in the past and have never had a problem...

However, I would now like to order a death cert which appears in the Army Deaths (1939-1945) indexes. The info gives the soldier's army number, the year and the Volime/page.

If I recall correctly, the GRO online ordering requires a District (as in a "normal" death entry in the GRO indexes) and won't let you complete the order until it is filled in.

I have tried searching the website (FAQ's, etc) to see if there is a different ordering form or any extra info about ordering certs other than the usual ones, but can't seem to find anything...

Any suggestions would be gratefully received! :o
SueL

Mythology
06-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Try using the "Overseas" bit - if I remember rightly, anything Army is "Overseas" even if it happened over here, I reckon you'll find the right bit there and it will probably want some type of "What index did you find it in" reference but not a district.

Mutley
06-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Hello Sue,
I don't know if this is going to be any help.
I have normal death certificates with the registration district shown and top left of the page says: Certified Copy of an entry of Death.

I also have a death certificate that a relative sent me supplied by the GRO for a sevice death, which top left of the page says:
'an Entry in the Army War Records of Deaths, 1939-1948'.
In the registration bit it says:
Service Departments Register
At the bottom it says:
'Certified to be a true copy of the certified copy of an entry made in the Service Departments Register'

Maybe it is worth trying 'Service Departments Register' in the Registration District field.

Good Luck. Mutley

Peter Goodey
07-01-2007, 7:34 AM
However, I would now like to order a death cert which appears in the Army Deaths (1939-1945) indexes. The info gives the soldier's army number, the year and the Volime/page.
Order it in the usual way, specifying "Death Certificate (Overseas events)".

SueL
07-01-2007, 4:56 PM
Thanks, all, for your helpful guidance - I shall give it a go...

Regds,
sue