PDA

View Full Version : watson of hanham, gloucester

jennywren
06-01-2007, 7:06 AM
Hello,

Hoping someone can clear up a problem with offspring born to Edward Watson and Sarah Greenaway. I don't know where they were married, but in 1851 census they were in Lower Machen, Monmouth, Wales. Edward was a collier. It listed his birthplace as Hanham, Gloucester and I have several children for them born in Hanham.

According to a family letter, they had a William around 1817 who I have not found a trace of, he was supposedly married to a sarah in Risca, Wales. Then there was also listed a Hannah who I cannot find, she married a George Sage and Rachel Watson who according to the family letter married around 1863, spouse unknown.

I know of Mary born in Hanham, Gloucester, 1823 she appears in the 1851 Census in Wales married to John Flagg and they had a daughter 2 weeks old, also named Sarah whom my husband is a descendant.

The 1851 census in Wales lists Isaac Watson and Joseph Watson born in Hanham, Gloucester, sons of Edward, widow, living with their father and sister Mary, her husband John Flagg etc. Can't find Isaac's birth, but I did find his marriage to a Rachel Lane. I also found an Abraham Watson married to an Elizabeth with children Sarah Ellen and Sydney.

I do not know if a Abraham Watson is a child of Edward or Sarah but he was also in Machen, Monmouth in 1857 as his daughter Sarah was born then and Sydney in 1860 in Upper Machen, Monmouth. He too was a collier. Did not find a marriage for them in Wales.

Also the letter does not mention Abraham, or Isaac or Joseph, but it was said that Edward and Sarah had Enoch and Jacob who were killed in a mine. Once again I find no trace of Enoch and Jacob, who I supposed must have been born in Hanham, Gloucester also.

There is also a William Watson born around 1841 in Bitton, Gloucester, wife Sarah, children listed all born in Risca, which is where Sara Flagg, daughter of Mary Watson was born. The children of William and Sarah are Harriet, Therese, Isaac, Abraham, William, Joseph and Mary, last one being born around 1879. I feel they must be related to Edward Watson and Sarah Greenaway as we know they resided in Risca, Monmouthshire.

Joseph Watson and John Flagg/Mary Watson emigrated to Australia, the latter in 1855. Joseph had one child in Australia by 1865. Lots of Joseph Watsons on the shipping index so not clear whenI also found an Abraham Watson married to an Elizabeth with children Sarah Ellen and Sydney.

Basically I would like confirmation of any of these.. Enoch, Jacob, William, Hannah, Rachel and perhaps Abraham? as these are the children I cannot find births for to indicate they belong to Edward and Sarah. My family is insistent that there was Enoch and Jacob, knew nothing of Isaac and Joseph..wonder why wouldn't they have been mentioned in the letter, I have only seen a transcribed letter not the original which was said to have been written in 1863. All rather confusing, so any help would be much appreciated.

Wamest Regards,

blue eyes
06-01-2007, 2:11 PM
Found the following on the 1841 census:-

civil parish Bitton, County Gloucestershire, address Stonehill.

Abraham Watson born at 1830
Edward Watson born abt 1796 occ coal miner
Joseph Wtson born abt 1835
Mary Watson born abt 1826
Sarah Watson born abt 1796

All born in county.

jennywren
06-01-2007, 2:32 PM
Thank you Blueeyes,

The only problem I have with that is that Mary Watson's birthdate is 5th January, 1823 in Hanham. Also father Edward in 1851 Census gives his age as 60 making his birthyear 1791. Of course census transcription could have errors?

What do you think?

Regards, Jenny

Trish
06-01-2007, 2:41 PM
Jenny,

I see two possible matches -- in the 1841 and 1851 censuses -- for William Watson born in 1817. Do you have these?

Census: 1841: HO107/361/15
Address: Langley and Swinehead [Upper Division], Gloucestershire
-- William Watson 20* Coal Miner Y
-- Sarah do 20 Y
-- Harriet do 2 Y
-- William do 5 months Y

*ages were usually rounded down in the 1841 census

[b]Census: 1851: HO107/2453 Folio 159 Page 45
Address: Matthew's Row, Risca, Monmouthshire, Wales
-- William Watson Head Mar 34 Coal-Miner [born:] Gloucestershire Hanham
-- Sarah Do Wife Mar 32 Do Oldard
-- Harriet Do Daur U 12 Do Hanham
-- William Do Son 10 Do Do
-- Edwin Do Son 7 Scholar Do Do
-- Sarah A. Do Daur 5 Do Monmouthshire Machen
-- Mary Do Daur 1 Do Risca

HTH,
Trish

jennywren
06-01-2007, 3:32 PM
Thank you Trish, the 1851 Census is definitely a hit! The family letter says that William Watson died in 1891 aged 74 years, so that puts him around 1817-20. I think the 1841 Census is probably them as well.

I had found the birth for a William Watson born 1841 in the 1881 Census, his wife was Sarah too, this William was born in Bitton, Gloucestershire, putting two and two together I had a hunch it would be the son of William, the other boys were too young to have had William Junior then. Now this confirms it for me, thank you.

I also found a Mary Watson born to Edward and Sarah in 1814, in Oldland? or Oldard not sure of the correct spelling on the IGI. I'm guessing she may have died since they had our Mary in 1823. This also fits in with William's wife Sarah being born in Oldard, Gloucestershire and gives me an idea that the family may have moved to Wales around 1845 since all the other children were born in Gloucester prior to that date. Also the name Harriet appears in Mary Watson/John Flagg's children along with that of William and Sarah's offpspring.

Can you please tell me if Bitton is a parish, or if these towns are part or close to the same parish in Gloucester?

Thank you for all your help,

Best Regards, Jenny

blue eyes
06-01-2007, 6:33 PM
Hi Jenny, Oldland and Bitton are near each other see link below

curiousfox.com.

Ages on the census do vary as do names and places of birth. The 1841 census ages are rounded up to the nearest 5 (if I got this wrong I'm sure someone will correct me).

Julie

Ladkyis
06-01-2007, 9:47 PM
Julie, the ages on the 1841 census were rounded DOWN.

see you said that someone would correct you LOL

Ann

blue eyes
06-01-2007, 9:58 PM
Thanks Ann.

Julie

jennywren
07-01-2007, 4:49 AM
Thank you Julie, and Ann,

This is most helpful

Hugs, Jenny