PDA

View Full Version : PASTON, Peterborough

tony vines
03-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Are there any historians out there who know about the 18th/19th century village or area of Paston? I have been searching IGI for names that interest me in Northamptonshire and there are quite a lot of entries for Paston. These days Paston is a suburb of Peterborough (a unitary authority that made me wonder which county to locate this thread in) but judging from the map on Old Maps web site it was outside the city in the late 19th century on the road to Eye, Cambridgeshire. However the same map seems to indicate that Paston was not so much a village, if indeed it was at all, but a name given to the area near to the A47 with just occasional well spread -out dwellings.

That being the case I cannot understand either how so many people seem to have been born, married and died there with the same or similar surname. There don't appear to be enough dwellings even accounting for generations.

Is there something about the area that is not evident from the old map?

Mutley
04-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Tony, I don't know the area at all but I had a look at Parloc the Parish Locator and it does come up as a Parish. It is 2.8 miles (4.5 km) 63 degrees East by North East of Eye, Northumberland
T
The following list of Parishes are within a 2 Mile Radius of Paston, P, NTH, ENG.

Parish Name Type,County,Country,OsRef Distance & Direction
=========== =========================

Newborough P NTH ENG TF2005 2.0 North by North East
Paston P NTH ENG TF1902 0.0
Peterborough R NTH ENG TL1999 1.9 South
Peterborough P NTH ENG TL1999 1.9 South
Peterborough,Cathedral P NTH ENG TL1999 1.9 South
Peterborough,
St John the Baptist P NTH ENG TL1999 1.9 South
Werrington P NTH ENG TF1603 2.0 West by North West

Obviously there are more if, for example, I asked for a 5 mile Radius.

Unfortunately, it does not give me a size for the parish so I do not know if this actually helps.
In the 1891 Census it was District 46 RG12/1231

Regards, Mutley

tony vines
04-01-2007, 7:36 PM
Thanks for taking an interest Mutley and for introducing me to Parloc which I've now downloaded.

There is indeed a parish church in evidence on the 19th century map, and a Rectory, and Paston Hall - but very little else from what I can see. Apart from a few almshouses I can't see how the church was supported or where all the people I've found lived. Perhaps the vicar and the lord of the manor had a nice cosy relationship and my family were all living out of doors - well you know how feudal it was in those days:)

Both Paston and its church are now in the city as are some of the villages around - but not Eye which is a few miles to the east still - a sort of right Eye I suppose:D

I'll see what the 1881 census shows.

all the best

Mutley
04-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Tony, you may find the info here:

PASTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2¾ miles (N. by W.) from Peterborough; containing, with the hamlets of Gunthorpe and Walton, and the chapelry of Werrington, 962 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 7. 11.; patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. Certain tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1803; and under the recent commutation act, a rent-charge of £140 is paid to the bishop, and a similar sum to the rector: the glebe contains 64 acres. There is a chapel of ease at Werrington. On Paston green are six almshouses, which are endowed with £12 per annum.

From: 'Passenham - Patton', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 537-40. Date accessed: 04 January 2007.

How many of the 962 inhabitants were yours? :D

Regards Mutley