PDA

View Full Version : Attestation Papers

Terry Waters-Marsh
14-11-2004, 8:43 PM
How would one locate a soldier's attestation papers in WO 96 without visiting the TNA?
I have a |banghead| with my 4x great-grandfather who served in the 13th Light Dragoons in the Peninsular Wars, Waterloo, India and then transferred to the Cape Regiment of Cavalry in June 1823. He was pensioned (Chelsea Hospital) in Dec 1827 when the regiment was disbanded. I obtained his Statement of Service from the WO97 but it does not contain his attestation papers. The reason I seek the attestation papers as his Statement of Service lists his birth as "born at sea". I was rather hoping his attestation papers may give some clues as to where he was christened and/or who his parents were.

Any suggestions? Many thanks.

Geoffers
14-11-2004, 9:05 PM
[How would one locate a soldier's attestation papers in WO 96 without visiting the TNA? ]

You either need to hire a professional researcher or know someone who can attend TNA and look it up for you. I believe WO96 only refers to Militia and not line regiments.

[my 4x great-grandfather who served in the 13th Light Dragoons in the Peninsular Wars, Waterloo, India and then transferred to the Cape Regiment of Cavalry in June 1823. He was pensioned (Chelsea Hospital) in Dec 1827 when the regiment was disbanded. I obtained his Statement of Service from the WO97 but it does not contain his attestation papers. The reason I seek the attestation papers as his Statement of Service lists his birth as "born at sea".]

I'd guess that most records would just record 'born at sea' - other places you might try are:

1) At TNA - Succession Books in WO25/266-688 - but not everyone is included in this. The books include place of birth
2) At TNA - Depot Description Books in WO67 - The books include place of birth
3) Is he in a census return which gives a birthplace in any more detail?
4) If he retired in 1827 - I'd guess he was born around 1785-ish? You might as a long shot try the Indexes to Regimental Registers of Births 1761-1924 (should be available on fiches at the same place you use to view the GRO indexes) - overseas births only commence about 1790 - but if he was the son of a soldier he may just be in this.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Terry Waters-Marsh
14-11-2004, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=GeoffersI'd guess that most records would just record 'born at sea' - other places you might try are:

1) At TNA - Succession Books in WO25/266-688 - but not everyone is included in this. The books include place of birth
2) At TNA - Depot Description Books in WO67 - The books include place of birth
3) Is he in a census return which gives a birthplace in any more detail?
4) If he retired in 1827 - I'd guess he was born around 1785-ish? You might as a long shot try the Indexes to Regimental Registers of Births 1761-1924 (should be available on fiches at the same place you use to view the GRO indexes) - overseas births only commence about 1790 - but if he was the son of a soldier he may just be in this.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire[/QUOTE]Thanks Geoffers,

I checked the LDS microfilms of the succession books (WO 25) some time ago without success. Because he remained in South Africa after discharge, he does not appear on any census (and civil registration did not commence in SA until the very late 1890s). I also checked the Index to Regimental Registers without finding this chap (although I did pick up a few of my great-uncles and great-aunts there). Looks like the last option will be the WO 67 and a professional researcher.

When it comes to playing long shots, I will start looking at muster rolls for the 1780/1790s for regiments transiting to or from North America and the West Indies to see if his father was, as you also suggested, in the military. I find it unlikely that a pregnant woman would risk travel aboard ship voluntarily, suggesting a forced move with a regiment.

Geoffers
15-11-2004, 9:02 AM
[When it comes to playing long shots, I will start looking at muster rolls for the 1780/1790s for regiments transiting to or from North America and the West Indies to see if his father was, as you also suggested, in the military. I find it unlikely that a pregnant woman would risk travel aboard ship voluntarily, suggesting a forced move with a regiment]

As you seem to be at the clutching at straws stage, a couple of other possibilities then:

1) Chelsea Pensions (obviously your chap was an out-pensioner) - for long service, the records are in WO116 and for disability pensions they are in WO118 - place of birth should be included in both

2) Chelsea Regimental Registers - these are regimental lists on discharge and incldue place of birth they are in WO120

3) You say he was in the Cape Regiment of Cavalry prior to retirement - in WO23/147-160 there are registers of men who served in colonial regiments who were pensioned off - I haven't had to use this source but I have read that many include place of birth.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Terry Waters-Marsh
15-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Thanks Geoffers,

I really do appreciate your suggestions as I am determined to crack this brick wall.

I have a copy of Norman K. Crowder's Book British Army Pensioners Abroad, 1772-1899 (yes, I will do lookups) which is a transcription (index) of the WO120 Chelsea regimental pension registers and he appears there in Volume 35. It was the lead that led me back to the TNA (the PRO in those days) for a photocopy of his Discharge papers. Sadly, all that is in his record in the WO97/1197 is his Statement of Service at discharge. Other independent sources from the South Africa National Archives coorborated that this was the right man.

His Statement of Service dated 24 Nov 1827 in the Cape of Good Hope says he served in the 13th Light Dragoons from 30 July 1808 to 19 Jun 1823 (a total of 13 years, 286 days) and in the Cape Cavalry from 20 Jun 1823 to 24 Nov 1827 (a total 4 years, 247 days). In addition, his service states he was awarded 2 years service for Waterloo (which was the 'gift' from the British Parliament to the officers and men who fought at Waterloo).

He was only 35 when he was discharged, not for being unfit for service but because the Cape Cavalry was disbanded. If the age stated is correct (and there is speculation it is only a quess by the officier filling in the paper, signed by Lord Somerset), that would mean a date of birth about 1792.

I have seen microfilms of WO23 and I even checked WO25, both without any luck of further information. WO23 is quite good for infantry regiments but very sparse on cavalry regiments.

The other possibility with regards being born at sea is that his mother was sailing from or to Ireland at the timun 1823 (a total of 13 years, 286 days) and in the Cape Cavalry from 20 Jun 1823 to 24 Nov 1827 (a total 4 years, 247 days). In addition, his service states he was awarded 2 years service for Waterloo (which was the 'gift' from the British Parliament to the officers and men who fought at Waterloo).

You can see why I am grasping at long shots to crack this one - a real |banghead|

Geoffers
15-11-2004, 2:31 PM
Hello Terry

Unless the witnesses to his marriage are relevant, or he mentions siblings in a will, or his surname is particularly uncommon or localised, I'm afraid that there's not much else I can suggest. I don't suppose he even has the decency to have his baptism appear in the IGI???

Enjoy the headbanging, it's lovely when it stops.

Good luck
Geoffers