PDA

View Full Version : Avast Antivirus Software

Ed Bradford
31-12-2006, 1:25 AM
Is anyone familiar with Avast Antivirus Software?

I'm considering downloading the free home edition and I'm interested to see if anyone has had any experience with it. If you have had some experience with it, please let me know what you think of it.

|help| ...............Ed

Mythology
31-12-2006, 1:38 AM
Reckoned to be good by a fair number of my reasonably well clued-up friends, with the proviso that it does tend to be a bit overcautious and pick up a few false positives.

Not tried it myself as it refused to install here due to my crippled Internet Explorer - it's actually 5.5 but has pretty-well committed suicide and Winos thinks it's about 3.0.

Procat
31-12-2006, 1:51 AM
Hi Ed,

You could try going here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

and typing Avast in the Forum search box.

Numerous views from extremely experienced and also novice computer users.

Mind you, you may end up more confused than when you started. :D

Neil Wilson
31-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Ed

With free software the updates are normally not as quick as the ones you pay for. Therefore you leave yourself at risk for around a week or so.
Look at the e-mails you receive has these free ones normally add a footer to the outgoing e-mails.
If you are going to paying for it, look for a package with full Internet Security, this will give you virus, spam parental control etc. I could list loads of products here but won't.
Have a virus free 2007.
Neil
P.S. my PC protection is provided free by my ISP, good old BT finally got something right

Scottie
31-12-2006, 3:42 PM
Ed
P.S. my PC protection is provided free by my ISP, good old BT finally got something right
Hi Neil,
My Norton is about to run out and I am hoping to take up my free offer from BT. My concern is that I have to uninstall the old one before I can download the free protection. Is this a problem or is it relatively quick and trouble free?

Ann.McClean
31-12-2006, 5:09 PM
Is anyone familiar with Avast Antivirus Software?

I'm considering downloading the free home edition and I'm interested to see if anyone has had any experience with it. If you have had some experience with it, please let me know what you think of it.

|help| ...............Ed

I've been using Avast free home edition for almost a year and have nothing but praise for it - particularly in the last week when it has picked up some particularly nasty virus laden emails and trojan worms. It updates every day when I log on, and runs unobtrusively in the back ground.

For reference, I'm running IE7/OExp 6 on Tiscali BroadBand

HTH :)

Regards, Ann

Ed Bradford
31-12-2006, 5:18 PM
Thanks all for the information.

Doug, I went to the web site and got a lot out of it.

Myth, I trust your choice in friends and thus their opinion.

Neil, thanks for the advice about the update delay. My service provider also provides virus protection but only on incoming emails as they pass through their server. If I used just their protection, I would have nothing on guard from a virus entering from the floppy drive (yes I still have one), DVD/CD ROM or from a server on the network. I know that some service providers actually provide a McAfee or Norton download when you subscribe to their service but mine doesn't.

Scottie, removing software isn’t too difficult. However, you may not have to do it if it’s just an upgrade. I’ll let Neil advise you on this since he has experience with this service provider and the software.

……………….Ed

AnnB
31-12-2006, 5:27 PM
Hi Neil,
My Norton is about to run out and I am hoping to take up my free offer from BT. My concern is that I have to uninstall the old one before I can download the free protection. Is this a problem or is it relatively quick and trouble free?
Hello Scottie

I was in the same position as you, and dithered over removing Norton before taking up BT's offer. I took the plunge and, for once, it all went like clockwork :)

So, I'd say go for it - but please don't blame me if it goes wrong....... ;)

Best wishes
Ann

arthurk
31-12-2006, 5:30 PM
The exact process may depend on what version of Norton you have, but you do need to make sure everything is properly removed from the registry before installing another program. I uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2003 about a year ago and needed to use a couple of removal tools from the Norton site - go to their help section and search for "uninstall", "remove" etc. Possibly try "repair" as well, as some of the articles I found were based on the assumption that your installation was faulty, and it was going to be necessary to uninstall before reinstalling. The removal tools themselves are quite small files, but specific to a particular version of Norton. You should get them even if you think you won't need them, because if you later decide you do need them you may not have full protection when you go to get them.

I can't remember everything I did to uninstall, but I think it was a case of using the program's own uninstaller, then the Windows one, then the removal tools, and there were a few files/folders to remove manually at the end as well. The articles from Norton were fairly clear and easy to follow, though. If you have NIS which includes NAV, I think it was important to uninstall NAV as part of NIS rather than separately (but the article did explain this). However, I think the removal tools were one each for NIS and NAV, and both were needed.

Going back to the original question, I don't know anything about Avast, but I now use AVG (a paid-for version including firewall), and that is updated frequently, sometimes 2-3 times a day. I have the free version of AVG (AV only) on another computer, and I think that's updated at the same time.

Arthur

Scottie
31-12-2006, 7:43 PM
Thanks all. I will get my last 20 days then go for it :D

Neil Wilson
31-12-2006, 8:35 PM
Hi Neil,
My Norton is about to run out and I am hoping to take up my free offer from BT. My concern is that I have to uninstall the old one before I can download the free protection. Is this a problem or is it relatively quick and trouble free?Scottie
The only thing is to make sure your system has enough memory ie 256mb free, I had to upgrade from 256 to 512 to get it to work/download. Then turn off XP firewall, and remove/disable any previous antivirus. The only thing is - you don't get the spam folder in outlook but I use the webmail which has spam folder, the to check the emails before I download to outlook.

Ed - BT's version of Nortons scans documents that is in MS format before opening, but doesn't seem to scan any others that I noticed (I use OpenOffice on here).

Neil

Ed Bradford
01-01-2007, 4:11 AM
Ann, Arthur, Neil, Myth and Doug, thanks for the input. I've decided to download a copy and give it a try. I can't argue the price but was concerned about the security it provided. Under the circumstances I'll be using it, I now feel reasonably safe under the sotware's umbrella of protection.

...................Ed

Scottie
01-01-2007, 1:02 PM
Thanks Neil. I have Norton Internet Security which includes firewall and spam protection. Are you saying BT does not supply that?

AnnB
01-01-2007, 1:10 PM
Hello Scottie

My package free from BT, consists of Anti-Spyware, Antivirus, Personal Firewwall, Pop-Up Blocker, Parental Control and BT Yahoo Mail Protection. I think it is explained more at http://uk.security.yahoo.com/

Best wishes
Ann

Neil Wilson
01-01-2007, 2:45 PM
Thanks Neil. I have Norton Internet Security which includes firewall and spam protection. Are you saying BT does not supply that?Hi Scottie
Everything that Ann as said in included. But the spam folder (as you know it with Nortons) is only accessible via the webmail browser. It is not included in the download. If you have BT YAHOO's browser then one of the tabs is normally set as the webmail.
In this you have view your inbox and mark the mail that it spam, and click 'this is spam' which moves them to the spam folder before it reaches your PC's outlook. You can veiw the spam folder and mark any that aren't spam and it will move those to your inbox. It takes a while and some emails from lists get treated as spam until you fine tune it.
hope that helps
Neil

Scottie
01-01-2007, 5:32 PM
Thanks Neil. I usually check the webmail page first anyway and very little gets through to Outlook Express. I went in this afternoon and downloaded the Spyware checker and will do the firewall and Norton as soon as my sub runs out. I need to wipe this hard drive anyway so if I mess up will do it afterwards then re download

Diane Grant-Salmon
03-01-2007, 3:28 PM
I'm with BT - Option 3, but I haven't upgraded to max speed, as I'm quite content with the reliable 2MB speed.

Is it possible to take the upgrade without having all the Norton stuff? I don't want Norton on my computer at all ........ but I'm very interested in having the BT Vision, possibly next year. However, in order to get that, I have to upgrade.

Ed Bradford
03-01-2007, 8:56 PM
It appears that this thread is suffering from a degree of message creep. Getting back to the original message, I’ve downloaded the Avast home edition software and installed it. All went well. I feel confident that my computer is protected. I’ll let you know if my opinion changes. Thanks for your help.

……………Ed

Neil Wilson
03-01-2007, 9:39 PM
It appears that this thread is suffering from a degree of message creep. Getting back to the original message, I’ve downloaded the Avast home edition software and installed it. All went well. I feel confident that my computer is protected. I’ll let you know if my opinion changes. Thanks for your help.

……………EdSorry Ed, guilty has charged. Please keep us updated on the proformance of it.

Ed Bradford
04-01-2007, 12:22 AM
No need to apologize. You may take notice that I participated as well. ..............Ed

Diane Grant-Salmon
04-01-2007, 8:32 AM
Thank you very much, Scottie, for your reply :)
Apologies to Ed ....... although it looks like we are all forgiven. ;)

Neil Wilson
04-01-2007, 6:06 PM
No need to apologize. You may take notice that I participated as well. ..............EdCheers Ed
On another list I belong to someone was going on about AOL and the only replies were from BT users saying switch :)

Ed Bradford
06-01-2007, 1:16 AM
AOL would give me antivirus software for free, however, it also adds another layer of communications and more expence. .................Ed

uksearch
30-09-2007, 6:18 PM
Anyone got any updated thoughts on this. A couple of month's ago I was going to download some free security, my niece nearly freaked out and offered to pay for Norton. As I couldn't possibly let her do that I opted for the Norton. However I did download free Spybot which I have found to be very good.

UK

suedent
30-09-2007, 7:48 PM
I must admit I don't think much to Norton, it hogs resources & is a nightmare to remove completely as it manages to inveigle(sp?) itself into seemingly unrelated directories.

In the past I have used AVG (free) together with AVG anti-spyware & Spybot with Zonealarm as a firewall.

At the moment I'm using Avast & have no problems with it although the voice telling me that it's been updated can be a little disconcerting if I'm concentrating on something else.

To be honest even if I were to pay for an anti-virus Norton & McAfee wouldn't be my first choices.

uksearch
30-09-2007, 7:57 PM
OK,

Thanks for that. I still have my list of freebies, so I will consult that when the time arrives. My niece has now gone by to the US after spending 12 months at Manchester Uni.

UK

MarkJ
30-09-2007, 7:58 PM
I agree with Sue. As a PC technician, I would not put Norton/Symantec on any of the machines I fixed unless the owner specifically asked for it. Norton in my experience is heavy on resources, causing the PC to slow right up. I always used AVG and found it fine, as well as Spybot S&D and/or AdAware for spyware/malware and Zone Alarm for firewall purposes. The Windows firewall has improved with SP2 on XP - it was pretty dire until that.

Personally, I use Linux, so I don't use any of the above on my own systems, although I have used them all in the past and still carry copies of them when I am fixing other peoples machines.

UK - if you look at the success rates for virus detection of the various AV programs, you will find that the free ones such as AVG come out as well, if not better, than the commercial programs. I would honestly trust a PC to AVG when it came to virus detection, much more than I would trust Norton. MY daughters brand new laptop came with Norton, which I removed straight away (there is a removal tool available from Symantec, who make the Norton products) and installed AVG.

Mark

uksearch
30-09-2007, 8:13 PM
I agree with Sue. As a PC technician, I would not put Norton/Symantec on any of the machines I fixed unless the owner specifically asked for it. Norton in my experience is heavy on resources, causing the PC to slow right up. I always used AVG and found it fine, as well as Spybot S&D and/or AdAware for spyware/malware and Zone Alarm for firewall purposes. The Windows firewall has improved with SP2 on XP - it was pretty dire until that.

Personally, I use Linux, so I don't use any of the above on my own systems, although I have used them all in the past and still carry copies of them when I am fixing other peoples machines.

UK - if you look at the success rates for virus detection of the various AV programs, you will find that the free ones such as AVG come out as well, if not better, than the commercial programs. I would honestly trust a PC to AVG when it came to virus detection, much more than I would trust Norton. MY daughters brand new laptop came with Norton, which I removed straight away (there is a removal tool available from Symantec, who make the Norton products) and installed AVG.

Mark

OK,

Thanks for that. I will take a look at what you suggest.

UK

gibo
01-10-2007, 2:07 AM
Guys,
I agree with previous post that AVG antivirus and AVG antispyware are great. Have been using AVG antivirus for about two years plus now without any problems. Antispyware finds stuff that others miss too - so highly recommend both! I did use ZoneAlarm but changed to FILSECLAB which is another freebie and works a beauty. I recently heard that Zonealarm has a compatible version for windows Vista where Filseclab is not [yet?].

Why pay for a subscription for virus protection when the freebies do the job?
Good luck. Regards,
Jeff

Ed Bradford
01-10-2007, 2:13 AM
UK, I've been running Avast Anti-virus software for some time now and I'm quite happy with it. It down loads updates automatically and quite often. I have not had a virus get into my computer since it was installed.
............Ed

busyglen
01-10-2007, 8:51 AM
Mmmm! I have Norton, which was put on for me when I had my new upgrade about 18 months ago. I previously had Norton, so probably that's why the chap gave me the upgraded version.

I am not (as you all know) a techie, so rely on others for information and help...although
I do sort a lot of things out for myself. I haven't had any problems (that I am aware of) in the years that I have used Norton, and I get regular updates. I have found my pc goes a bit slow on occasions, but hadn't thought that it could be down to Norton. I am wondering if I should try something else, when it is up for renewal....but...I should probably have to get my PC chappie to come and delete Norton as I would probably make a terrible job of it. The only thing is....it would cost me more. So....do I stick with Norton or change?

Glenys

MarkJ
01-10-2007, 9:16 AM
Plenty of things will slow a PC down Glenys, not just Norton. From my own experience, and that of others here it would seem, Norton is fairly resource intensive. If you are happy with a particular program, and you update regularly, then that is the main thing :) The really big problem comes from people who get a limited version of an AV program - be that Norton or some other - and then never update the thing. The number of machines I have come across which had a 30 day trial or similar of an AV program but never coughed up the cash to keep it going, then wonder why they are infested with nasty malware is amazing! I have been to machines with literally hundeds (and in one case thousands) of viruses, trojans etc - purely because they assumed the trial version of whatever would keep them safe - even though they never paid for the registered version.
That is one of the advantages with the free programs, such as AVG - they do not need a yearly subscription to allow you to update them. The fact that they are free worries some people - and yes, there are dodgy programs out there which claim to fix problems or remove spyware etc, but are themselves actually spyware. The ones mentioned in this thread are all good genuine programs which work as well as - if not better than - the most expensive programs.
The only good AV program is one which is kept up to date - whether that is a free one or a paid for program! Nasties are released every day - you would be shocked if you knew how many there are and how easy it is to actually create one yourself.

As has been mentioned by Sue, Norton is a bit of a nuisance to remove, but there is a removal tool available from Symantec (the makers of Norton) which does seem to do the job properly (after a reboot or two of course!). Installing AVG or another AV program is very simple.

If you like Norton and keep it up to date, then stick with it. A program you use and update is far more useful than one you can't understand or that you hate :)

Mark

uksearch
01-10-2007, 12:01 PM
UK, I've been running Avast Anti-virus software for some time now and I'm quite happy with it. It down loads updates automatically and quite often. I have not had a virus get into my computer since it was installed.
............Ed

Thanks for your information.

UK

uksearch
01-10-2007, 12:04 PM
I am really glad that I opened up this thread again. It has put my mind at rest about using free AV. When the time comes I will certainly not renew Norton. Thanks to all who chipped in.

UK

busyglen
01-10-2007, 2:27 PM
Thanks Mark! I have an `automatic' update with Norton which loads when I switch on and there are new updates available. I've sometimes wondered if this ok, rather than opt to `remember' to check and add updates manually. To date (over several years) I have not had any problems. I run a full system scan frequently, and have not had anything showing up. When there has been a `Trojan' attempt etc. it notifies me, but they have been few and far between. Perhaps I have just been lucky! So in the words of other wise people...."If it aint broke, don't fix it" ;)

NB: My PC is only slow occasionally and I think sometimes it depends on what I am doing or whether I've hit a slow programme etc. On the whole, I am satisfied, so I guess I will stick.

Glenys

norfolkdude
03-11-2007, 3:48 PM
spybot is a free to use spyware finder it does it for me and it is often best to use more than one spy finder ..
Peter

norfolkdude
03-11-2007, 3:52 PM
I use AVG free it works fine ..and updates automaticaly ..
Peter

Ed Bradford
03-11-2007, 5:43 PM
At the moment I'm running Windows Defender, Avast Antivirus, Spybot and Ad-Aware SE. Windows Defender and Avast Antivirus run in the background and update automatically. I update and run Spybot and Ad-Aware once a week. All of these software packages together seem to provide adequate computer protection. The nice thing is that they are all free.

I've have used other software packages. Some of them I've purchased and paid to continue their subscription. I'm happy with the protection I now have. I feel safe and have not had any problems. By the way, I should tell you that I always turn my computer off when I'm not using it. I sometimes disconnect my Internet connection if I'm simply working on the compter, such as drawing building plans, and don't need the Internet.

:).............Ed

norfolkdude
04-11-2007, 12:16 PM
AVG Free and Spybot update as quick as anyother software ..never had any trouble using either .why pay for something that licence runs out and have to repay , when you can get free stuff that is as good or better . aslo use CClean thats free too ..clears a lot of rubbish from PC .I am with Plusnet ..no problems with them either ..
Peter