PDA

View Full Version : Black Quarry Church near Glasgow

Chezw
26-12-2006, 3:33 AM
On my ggg grandfather's death certificate it states he was married at Black Quarry Church near Glasgow. I realise that death information as supplied by an informant (his son )is not always accurate. It also states he was born in it appears Stirling, Glasgow, to parents Robert Buchanan and Helen Buchanan nee McMillan. Does anyone have any information on the church or place? He was born about 1804.

I have an IGI ref stating he married Margaret Ramsay McFarlane in Kilmaronock, Dumbarton in 1832! I cannot find her parents either using her death information as supplied by her son, who stated her parents were George McFarlane and Margaret Ramsay.

They were in Glasgow in 1851 Census Ward 574 Milton with their 3 children Mary, Janet and William. They came to Australia in 1853.

Here's hoping someone can enlighten me
Merry Christmas
Chezw

Murray Archer
01-01-2007, 4:53 PM
I see the family in the 1851 Census index.

I suggest that you view the actual census entry - there will be a lot more information than you see in the index, including the parish of birth of each person (if born in Scotland).

This is far more reliable than information supplied years later on a death certificate.

You can view the census entry at ScotlandsPeople or on microfilm at your local LDS Family History Centre, or perhaps public library or family history society.

I note that there is also an Elizabeth, aged 55 - perhaps a sister of George?

Good luck