PDA

View Full Version : BT27 starts appearing online

Mythology
22-12-2006, 5:32 AM
Keeping short to avoid repeating text bug. FindMyPast (1837online) have started putting BT27 images online. At present only sample from 1890 to 1899, Rome wasn't built in a day. Some people may be disappointed because ...
(a) Original records often lack detail.
(b) Indexing does not include ship name, nor ages even if original has them, identifying family group with common name could be nightmare.
(c) 10 units for transcript or 25 for image - though latter does include header page for vessel as well. Still cheaper than a trip to Kew even from here, if you guessed right from the index, you're quids in.
Having said that, only had one shot at it, found my Joseph & Eliza Overton with daughter Eva straight away - not on Ellis Island because they are mine, so, of course, went to California via Quebec.

Wirral
22-12-2006, 9:17 AM
:confused: For us thickos, what is BT27?

Procat
22-12-2006, 9:21 AM
From http://www.newyorkpassengerlists.com/bt27.html

BT27 — Outward Passenger Lists 1890 - 1960
If you are researching Port of New York arrivals, then you'll want to know about BT27. While many Americans can locate their ancestors on passenger arrival records through Ellis Island, the BT27 records (Board of Trade, Series 27) are the list of outward passenger records departing U.K. ports from 1890 to 1960. This includes arrivals through New York, but also other American and Canadian ports coming from England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. In addition, travel originating from other European countries that passed through one of the busy ports of the United Kingdom would also be included as part of this collection.

Peter Goodey
22-12-2006, 9:26 AM
:confused: For us thickos, what is BT27?http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=1498&CATLN=3&Highlight=&FullDetails=True

margaretparkin
07-01-2007, 6:42 PM
Can you help where do I find emigration record for aroun 1840. Tried Kew hopeless these people were leaving Norfolk m

Geoffers
07-01-2007, 8:07 PM
Can you help where do I find emigration record for aroun 1840. Tried Kew hopeless these people were leaving Norfolk m
See your other thread regarding emigration. Records of emigrating passengers were not required to be kept until well after 1840.

Read this research guide on TNA's web-site
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=292

Geoffers

Mythology
02-02-2007, 8:45 PM
A small update. I said above "Indexing does not include ship name, nor ages even if original has them, identifying family group with common name could be nightmare."
I am pleased to see that the freebie search results now include the ages where the original has them- that's a definite improvement. :)

Also, while the results don't include the ship name, there is now an extra bit where you can *specify* a ship name as part of the search. OK, personally, I don't have a clue with my lot, but if you have something from other sources - diary, bible, letter, whatever - that mentions the ship name, that helps narrow it down and should ensure that even John Smith who might appear as J Smith or just Smith with no initial shouldn't cost too many arms and legs.

Jenjen
09-02-2007, 11:46 PM
They have now completed to 1909.
Jen