PDA

View Full Version : Dartmoor/Parkhurst

Derek Atherton
20-12-2006, 11:10 AM
My relative John Atherton b.1817 Altrincham is shown as a widower, living in Hulme, with his children on the 1861 census. Between then and 1871 he committed some sort of crime and was awarded quite a lengthy sentence?

In the 1871 census he was in Dartmoor Prison - No 9448 John Atherton Convict Inmate Widr 54 Bobbin Turner b. Altrincham. RG10/2144/80/38.

In the 1881 census he had been moved to Carisbrooke Prison (Parkhurst, Isle of Wight as we now know it) John Atherton Convict Widower 65 Bobbin Turner b. Altrincham. RG11/1177/106/22.

It appears he may have died in Stockport in 1887 - I await a copy of the death certificate.

As I live in Sussex I do not have access to the local Library to attempt to gain details of charge/sentence from the Newspapers.

I am therefore looking for advice/help on gaining this information - any tips appreciated! Additionally of course I am a little concerned that others (descendants) may not appreciate me publishing these details on my web site - does anyone have any particular thoughts on that? I personally do not mind at all!

Regards,

Colin Moretti
20-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Hello Derek

I don't know if this is your man.

The Times, 7 Aug 1862, page 11

Midland Circuit, Derby, Aug 6

John Atherton was indicted for burglary at Heanor Hall on the night of Friday the 10th of January last.
Guilty.
A previous conviction was proved, for which the prisoner was transported for 10 years, which had not expired, so that he must have had a ticket of leave.

14 years penal servitude Email me off list if you would like further details; there's also an earlier report of the incident although apparently Atherton is not mentioned in it.

The prison records etc will probably be at TNA at Kew, see this guidance leaflet:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=253

I have had no problem with revealing this sort of information for my own ancestors (g grandfather - 6 years penal servitude for theft) although I can imagine that some people would have, but it was more than 100 years ago!

Colin

Colin Moretti
20-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Does your local library give you access to the Times digital archive, the source of the quotation in my previous message? Many do now.

Colin