PDA

View Full Version : WW1 Medals - Help on a sensitive dilemma

Debs
14-12-2006, 1:29 PM
This may seem a little odd to be asking, but is it possible for a relative to have mistakenly claimed the medals of a soldier from the First World War genuinely believing them to be his ancestor, but actually they belonged to another soldier with the same name? What sort of proof did you have to provide to obtain unclaimed medals? Any help would be most appreciated.

ChristineR
15-12-2006, 12:09 PM
This may seem a little odd to be asking, but is it possible for a relative to have mistakenly claimed the medals of a soldier from the First World War genuinely believing them to be his ancestor, but actually they belonged to another soldier with the same name? What sort of proof did you have to provide to obtain unclaimed medals? Any help would be most appreciated.

The other soldier would not have the same service number - all dealings with the authorities would work with his name and his service number, his unit, along with his place of birth and next of kin. Because there would be lots of duplicated names they cannot work on the name alone. Anyone claiming medals would have to prove their eligibility, there being a strict order of the living kin entitled to them. If the soldier did not die whilst enlisted they would have to be able to say when and where he had died, because he would have first entitlement.

This opinion has come from what I have read in my relatives service files (Australia) when family members have tried to claim medals.

Christine

Neil Wilson
15-12-2006, 3:45 PM
From the Veterans Agency web site

http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/medals/claiming.html
The following information (or as much as possible) will be required:
Service Number, Regiment/Corps (Army/RM), Branch/Trade (RAF and RN), Full Name, Date of Birth, Rank and date of discharge, plus, of course, your current name and address.
Neil

Debs
15-12-2006, 4:45 PM
Thank you for all your help - having read through the requirements needed to claim I must admit to being more than a little puzzled as to how a relative has claimed medals for an ancestor whose Service Records clearly show he was not entitled to any.

Neil Wilson
15-12-2006, 5:15 PM
He might have been discharged before the medals were issued/awarded. If that was the case there might not be anything on his records but it would go on the theatre of operations, time scale etc.

ChristineR
16-12-2006, 2:12 AM
Thank you for all your help - having read through the requirements needed to claim I must admit to being more than a little puzzled as to how a relative has claimed medals for an ancestor whose Service Records clearly show he was not entitled to any.

If you have actually seen these medals, then take note of the service number. Dont forget that some men served in both wars - are you looking at the right service record.

The ones that I have seen only have the medals stamped on the one page - and only after they have been issued. So, if medals were not claimed then they would not even be mentioned - and no stamped images on the page.

The files sometimes contained returned letters when the authorities have tried to let them know that medals are ready to be claimed.

Christine

Debs
16-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Without going into too much detail re. names etc. I definitely have the correct Service records for the right man. There are plenty of personal details among the records to confirm this so I am confident it's the right gentleman. He did survive the First World War but he died of natural causes before the Second World War. I did read that WW1 soldiers did not need to claim there medals, that they were automatically issued if they qualified.

I have only seen a picture of the medals in question and cannot see any service number to help solve this further. His service records show he didn't land in France until two weeks after the last battle on the Western Front. Prior to this he'd been in England and Dublin only. A search through the medal cards also brings up no matches for any medals for this ancestor. I do appreciate everyone's input on this - I am new to this area of research so all help and pointers are very welcome. My main concern here of course is not wanting to upset my relative but at the same time trying to understand where the medals fit in? Thank you again.

Neil Wilson
16-12-2006, 4:03 PM
Debs

Suggestion - visit the relative who has the medals, and inquire whether you could take a digital photo of them for your computer records - whilst doing this note down the service number (normally on the rim) and cross refer that number with yours.
If it is wrong, say no more about it the the relative, but ask if you could have them when they pass on to go with your records, then you can go about returning them to their rightful family.
Neil

Debs
16-12-2006, 4:11 PM
Neil, many thanks for your suggestion and one I will do. Thank you all again.

Debs