PDA

View Full Version : John Jarvis Policeman...again!

busyglen
13-12-2006, 1:55 PM
Why is it that I keep getting little snippets of information, that really start to get me excited, and then I come down to earth with a bump?!! I should be used to this by now, but I'm not.

As some of you will know, I have been trying to trace the parentage of my John Jarvis, born Winslow Bucks. 1823. Mother unknown, but father stated as Johh Green on John & Emma's marriage cert. I also have details that he was illegitimate. After his marriage in 1842, (he was in the Army at that time) he had a son Alfred, born 1846. John is next found in the 1851 Census in St. Geo. Hanover Squ. as a Policeman with Emma and two children. The 1861 piece of Census appears to have gone walkabout, and by 1871 he had died. His death cert. gave his d.o.d as 12.10.1870 and he'd had a disease of the heart for two years. He was a Labourer when he died.

So...due to some help from forum members, I obtained information of the Met. Police records at the NA and sent for a couple of pages hoping they would show his appointment and discharge, plus possibly parents names. The pages arrived today, and I feel sure that this is my John.

Date of Appointment: Dec. 28th 1846. Sound right after son's birth in Bucks.
He was shown as Dismissed on 2nd Aug. 1853.
There were the names of the two people who recommended him, both look to be from London, and the names mean nothing to me.

Cont......

busyglen
13-12-2006, 2:00 PM
So....where do I go from here?

I have his Warrant number. Would there be any other information regarding his number at NA. I have looked at the NA records, but can't see anything that would help. At least I know that he wasn't in the Met. at the time of the 1861 Census now, so possibly he had problems with his health then. Or...it didn't say Discharged, but Dismissed, so possibly this could have been for a misdemeanour?

Any ideas folks?

Glenys

Geoffers
13-12-2006, 6:33 PM
so possibly he had problems with his health then. Or...it didn't say Discharged, but Dismissed, so possibly this could have been for a misdemeanour?
I'd read this as him having been a naughty lad, TNA has records in MEPO7, have a browse of their research guide
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=104
Scroll down to Section 4, and read the bit about Police Orders (it's roughly in the middle of sect.4). Depending on which division he was in, it may also be worth trying the Met Museum, there is an address on the research guide.

Geoffers

busyglen
13-12-2006, 6:42 PM
Thanks Geoffers. I have been running through the various records again, and most seem to end in 1847 for his Warrant number and as he `left' in 1853, the next batch seem to start later. I don't really know what division he was in, as the MEPO4/ doesn't give any indication. I've also been googling to see if there are any sites with records, but no joy at the moment.

Thanks for that ulr, I will have a go, although I don't hold out much hope. The museum may be worth a try, and I did think about that, but failing all else, anything is worth at try isn't it? To be honest, I doubt that I will get beyond the fact that he was in the Met, and left 7 years later.

Again my thanks for your time, it's appreciated. :)

Glenys

arthurk
13-12-2006, 8:03 PM
I'm by no means familiar with police records, but there was a site http://www.policeorders.co.uk which had information about former Met officers. Looking at it today, it seems their database is no longer online, but you can email for a search. There are also a lot of links etc which might take you further.

Arthur

Mutley
13-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Hello,
The black Sheep site has a police index. Lots of Jarvis's but could not see one that I thought was your John.
However, if you go on and email the man who runs it, he is very helpful and would maybe keep an eye out for you, seeing as he does have access to police records.
He has details of my black sheep and emails me when he comes across one.

http://www.lightage.demon.co.uk/POLNOTES.htm

Regards
Mutley

busyglen
14-12-2006, 9:27 AM
I'm by no means familiar with police records, but there was a site http://www.policeorders.co.uk which had information about former Met officers. Looking at it today, it seems their database is no longer online, but you can email for a search. There are also a lot of links etc which might take you further.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur. I did actually find this site yesterday, and it also states that the Museum has been closed down, which Geoffers mentioned also. I'll have a bash at sending an email for a search, but will probably leave it now until after Christmas.

Thanks again for this.

Glenys

busyglen
14-12-2006, 9:36 AM
Hi Mutley,

I've had a link to this site for quite a while and actually looked at it again yesterday. I think that it's probably a good idea to see if they can help me. I'm not too sure what other info I can obtain, but any scrap is worth having, especially if he was dismissed as a `naughty boy' after 7 years.

I did read on one of these sites, (or it may have been the NA) that around the time my John was dismissed, there had been a drastic reduction of numbers by the authorities. Apparently there had been a lot of aggro between officers and the normal bobbies, due to lack of discipline. It would be interesting to see if this was the cause of John being dismissed.

Thanks for your help. :)

Glenys