PDA

View Full Version : Can't find Grandma!!! born 1887

Shannon
13-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Florence Gertrude STEWART born 1887 according to the marriage certificate to my grandfather, states on Dec 25 1913 in Mortlake (the marriage date), that her father is a deceased Army Sergeant: George William STEWART.

I went to the 1901 and found two Florences that could be the one. One family lives in Henwell Middlesex and Florence is 13 and listed as step daughter to James WHITE and Sarah A. WHITE. There are quite a few children. It says that this Florence was born in Warwick Kingsbury.

The 2nd possbility is in 1901 living in Woking Surrey. The head is George STEWART age 42, Barracks Warden, Army Service Corps.In this family there is NO Florence. Could she have gone out to work or ?

How do I find which one it is please? Perhaps a look up of the 1891 census where Florence would be 3-5 years of age, father George?

Ladkyis
13-11-2004, 11:34 PM
according to FreeBMD There are two Florence STEWARTs indexed as being registered in sept qtr 1886; two in the june qtr of 1887 and one in the Dec qtr of 1887. None were registered in Warwickshire. There is a Florence STEWART registered Dec qtr 1885 in Rugby which is the right district but she is Florence Mary.
Point to remember is that FreeBMD is not yet complete so it could be that not all the names have been uploaded.

Ann :)

Geoffers
24-11-2004, 9:21 AM
Part 1 of a 2 part reply to avoid duplicate text:

[Florence Gertrude STEWART born 1887 according to the marriage certificate to my grandfather, states on Dec 25 1913 in Mortlake (the marriage date), that her father is a deceased Army Sergeant: George William STEWART.]

You might try looking for the service record of George William STEWART in The National Archives (TNA) at Kew, these often contain all sorts of information. In the service record of one of my line I found the births of two children of whom I was previously unaware plus details of a marriage in Peshawar to a 16 year old widow!
[I went to the 1901 and found two Florences that could be the one. One family lives in Henwell Middlesex and Florence is 13 and listed as step daughter to James WHITE and Sarah A. WHITE. There are quite a few children. It says that this Florence was born in Warwick Kingsbury.]

Searching the 1901 census for Florence aged 13 +/- 1 year throws up 12 hits, +/- 2 years gives 19 - and that's just if the indexer has read the name correctly - search under STEWARD and you get another 4 possibles aged 13 +/- 1 year. I think you may need more information before you get anywhere with the census. So, I'd suggest doing what Ann has tried and searching for the birth of your grandmother. This may appear in either the GRO index of births - or - in one of these two minor indexes kept with the main GRO index:

Indexes to Regimental Registers of Births 1761-1924
or if born abroad
Index to Army Chaplains' Returns of Births, and Mariages, and Deaths

continued....

Geoffers
24-11-2004, 9:26 AM
Part 2 or 2....

If you find reference in the above indexes, you can apply for a copy of the relevant certificates.
The additional information you find in these records, gt-grandmother's name, maiden name and age at marriage may help to locate your grandmother in 1901 - possibly with her mum?

[The 2nd possbility is in 1901 living in Woking Surrey. The head is George STEWART age 42, Barracks Warden, Army Service Corps. In this family there is NO Florence. Could she have gone out to work or ?]

She could well be with her mother - away from the barracks. See above for suggestions.

When your grandmother married were any of the witnesses her relations - a sister or brother? You may be able to locate them on the 1901 census?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Trish
25-11-2004, 4:54 AM
Shannon,

You've already received some pretty good advice so there's not much to add but I did look for your grandmother Florence and her father George in the 1891 census...

I couldn't find the George Stewart whom you found in 1901 living in Woking or a likely looking 3 or 4 year old Florence with a family. The only one I found who couldn't be ruled out because she wasn't with parents is in the following household at [what looks like] Ballast Hill Cottage, Westoe in Durham:

Name / Age / birthplace / Relationship / Occupation
Benson, John 62 Thurslby, Lincolnshire Head Mason
Benson, Sarah 62 Stanford, Lincolnshire Wife
Stewart, Thos 5 South Shields, Durham
Stewart, Florence 4 South Shields, Durham

Source information: RG12/4152
Registration district: South Shields
Sub registration district: Westoe
ED, institution, or vessel: 1
Folio: 21
Page: 36

Curiously, the relationships of John and Sarah to Thomas and Florence are left blank on the image. Maybe they are grandparents?

The Woking George you found in the 1901 census was born in Scotland. Have you considered the possibility that, if this is her father, Florence was also born in Scotland and may have still been there with her mother in 1891? or with grandparents? ...Lots of possibilities to consider.

I wish there was something more definitive for you in the 1891 census.

Good luck,
Trish
Toronto, Canada