PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone from a newbie

Twizzle
13-11-2004, 7:21 PM
Thought I would be polite and say Hello to one and all. I have just started in this addictive hobby (may I call it that ) Genealogy trying to trace the Whitbread family roots , I'm 99% sure I,m not related to the brewery Whitbreads , but I can now understand why so many people get hooked doing this , I've only gone back to my Grandad and found out some brill stuff. Anyway nice to meet you.

Jo Simpsons
13-11-2004, 7:34 PM
Nice to meet you too! Hope you enjoy yourself along your hunt. You may end up :mad: , |woohoo|
but will probably meet lots of lovely people! I have.
Jo :)

Londonwhay
13-11-2004, 9:01 PM
Welcome Twizzle, I have only been doing this for a few months now and already I've found out what a good community of people genealogists are.

Glenda

Ladkyis
13-11-2004, 9:19 PM
Welcome Twizzle, I have been researching for more than 10 years and I still get a real kick out of finding a new person or connecting a new branch to the tree. Have fun and I hope you never have a brick wall |banghead| to bang your head against.
Ann

Diane Grant-Salmon
14-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Welcome Twizzle,

Yes, it's a very addictive hobby, you'll find that the housework gets a bit neglected, take a tip from one who knows, if you don't disturb the dust ..... it won't look any worse after six months than six days! :D

One of the things I like most, although we're all serious about our research, the majority of us also have a 'silly' sense of humour, particularly going overboard with all the new smilies! |woohoo| ..... for me, this one takes some catching though! |woohoo|

jan19230
16-02-2006, 1:35 PM
Hi Twizzle

I'm new to the Forum (joined today in fact). Spotted you are researching the name Whitbread. Me too. Having a real struggle with them.

My great grandmother was Elizabeth Horne Whitbread (actually spelt Whitbreaid), born 1867 in Canning Town, Essex, but I believe her family originated from Aspley Guise in Bedfordshire.

What about your Whitbreads

Highweek
16-02-2006, 9:31 PM
Hello Twizzle

I have only joined here in the last couple of weeks and the help from members here is brilliant.

I have been researching my family history for 9 years now and have only recently just got back into it seriously after working full time and not having time!

I really hope you don't come up against a brick wall like I have with two brothers and being unable to establish which is which!

As for the emicons... I still havn't got the hang of how to put them into my text!

Best of luck
Julie

Clive Blackaby
16-02-2006, 9:41 PM
Highweek

Have you worked it out yet?
|computer|

Just click on the pale faced :) in the toolbar above the edit window

Oh, and you may have to go to the bottom left corner of the web page to make sure "Smilies are On"

Highweek
16-02-2006, 9:53 PM
Clive

Please don't be cross!

What pale faced :-) in which toolbar above which edit window!

All I can see are the "post icons" below this text, and yes I had my smilies on already!

Julie

Wirral
16-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Hi Julie
Don't worry, you aren't being dense, there are a few steps you need to do 1st that no-one has told you about.
Got to User CP at the far left of the blue bar above.
Edit Options
Miscellaneous Options (at the bottom of the page)
Change to "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG edition
Save

Now when you reply to a posting you will have a more complicated choice of buttons - underline, bold, etc Go to the smiley face.

Highweek
16-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Wirral :D you're a star...

Thank you very much, as I have a decent pc knowledge and was definitely |banghead|

Not any more! |hug|

Julie

Clive Blackaby
16-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Clive

Please don't be cross!

What pale faced :-) in which toolbar above which edit window!

All I can see are the "post icons" below this text, and yes I had my smilies on already!

JulieJulie,

Why should I be cross??

I was going to suggest one or two other things to try, but see I've been beaten to it!

My parting shot was If all that doesn't work I dunno!! Try clicking on the word "Smilies" down the bottom left of the web page where it will tell you what to type in you message to get a smiley. So colon bracket gives you :) and if you type the word confused between two colons you should get this :confused:

Highweek
16-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Clive

Cross - I know there's nothing more infuriating than having a person ask daft questions, but as it happens Wirral has explained and it's maybe not so daft after all because changing the settings is something you have to know about or be told. Not very obvious!

I didn't have what you had in the first place!:confused:

Now all I need is a spill chocker!|help|

Thank you for your help |hug|

Julie

John
17-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Clive

Cross - I know there's nothing more infuriating than having a person ask daft questions,
Julie
The only daft questions are the ones you don't ask.

John.

jan19230
17-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Great to know I can now use the smilies and I |bowdown| to those who have the knowledge.

But can anyone find my WHITBREADS |cheers| ?

I'd be so |jumphappy if someone could |help| me.

Jo Simpsons
17-02-2006, 11:47 AM
How far have you got with your search? This is a possible for you,

1871 Census

RG10/1628 Folio 51 Page 40

Builders Street, West Ham

James Whitbread, head, 41, Labourer, Beds, Astley (?)

Ellen, wife, 35, Gloucestershire, Hor? bourne

Maria, daur, 11, Canning Town,

William, son, 9,

James, son, 6,

Georgina, daur, 4,

Elizabeth H, daur, 1

Jo Simpsons
17-02-2006, 11:55 AM
RG9/1059 Folio 58 Page 34

Reids Terrace, West Ham

James Whitbread, head, 32, sewage Labourer, Bedfordshire, Aspley

Ellen, wife, 28, Gloucestershire, Cor?bourne

Maria, daur, 1, Essex, Plaistow

Jo:)

BeeE586
17-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Just found this thread. May I add my 'Welcome' to all Newbies. I have been researching about thirty years and during that time have cursed, ranted and raved, threatened to make a bonfire of everything, vowed never to go anywhere near another Record Office, but ............. I am still here. That's the lure of Family History, that TODAY might be when you find just what you have been looking for, that TODAY may be when you begin to chip away at that |banghead|, that TODAY is when you get that letter or e-mail that will just shed a glimmer of light on a long-standing puzzle - and you keep going.

Strangely enough, my post has just arrived and there is a large envelope which I know will have details of a family (BOSVILLE 15th/16th century) in which I have an interest - today might just be THE DAY !!!!!

Best of luck and Happy Hunting

Eileen -- |wave|

jan19230
18-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi Jo

Thanks for the information. This is indeed the family and I have James on the 1851 Census too (I think). His wife was Ellen Cotton and we think she came from Honeybourne in Gloucester.

I think his father was a Thomas Whitbread from Aspley Guise and his mother was Ann. Thomas was born about 1786. He is on the 1861 Census as an Ag Lab.

I just can't get beyond that - |banghead| .

I have several brick walls in most branches of my family research, but this one has been going on for about 15 years with no breakthroughs.

Jan