PDA

View Full Version : O'Neil-Barclay

pepsi
29-11-2006, 12:16 AM
I am trying to find out some information about my Grand parents and great grandparents. Grandfather Arthur O'Neil born around 1860, Grandmother Margaret Barclay born around 1871. His father was also Arthur O'Neil, and mother Bridget Tierney. Margaret Barclay's parents where William Barclay, mother Christine Hanley. At one time I think my grandfather lived in Ross Street Glasgow. I think all of them came from Scotland, but where. Could I get help from anyone please. Peggy

Lesley Robertson
04-01-2007, 4:05 PM
I am trying to find out some information about my Grand parents and great grandparents. Grandfather Arthur O'Neil born around 1860, Grandmother Margaret Barclay born around 1871. His father was also Arthur O'Neil, and mother Bridget Tierney. Margaret Barclay's parents where William Barclay, mother Christine Hanley. At one time I think my grandfather lived in Ross Street Glasgow. I think all of them came from Scotland, but where. Could I get help from anyone please. Peggy
You need to go to Scotlands People where you can, for a modest price, check the census and BMD records.
Just running a quick check of their index, I see that they have 9 Arthur O'Neils born between 1855-1865. They have 32 Margaret Barclays born between 1870 and 1873. However, there is a single marriage entry for Arthur O'Neil and Margaret Barclay, and I would suggest that you start with that marriage certificate. It'll give their residence at the time of the marriage, job, etc. Then you can go to the census returns, or look for their parents' weddings.
Looking at the IGI, this appears to be your man:
Arthur O'Neil born to A O'N and B.T. 26 Sep 1857 Clyde, Glasgow.You can use this information to pinpoint your guy and get his birth ccert from Scotlands People.
I can't see any children born to William Barclay and Christine Hanley on the IGI which suggests that either Margaret was born after 1875 (the cutoff for the IGI), she wasn't born in Scotland, or her parents names are incorrect. The wedding certificate should confirm their names and her age. There's one the right age in Glasgow, but her mother was Mary McIntosh.

pepsi
09-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi Lesley,
Thankyou very much for your help, this is my first go at finding relatives in Scotland, I will do as you suggest , and hope to find out a lot about my fathers side of the family, well thanks again it's nice to have people about like you who take time to help newcomers.
Peggy