PDA

View Full Version : Laven - Help please

ragna
28-11-2006, 3:03 PM
Hi there.

I am new to this forum (this my first posting) and wonder whether anyone would be able to cast some light on a three year search for the Birth of my Great Grandfather, Sydney George Frederick MCLAVEN

I have found who I think was my Great Grandfather in the 1881 Census at Wandsworth Reformatory Boys Home Aged 14 and named as Sydney LAVEN and born in 1867 in Marylebone. However after extensive searching I can not find a Sydney Frederick or George MCLaven or Laven born in Marylebone. I am obviously unsure whether this is definately him but the birth fits as does the name Sydney Laven, which would confirm the family rumour that it was changed in the 1800's due to the Anti-Semitisium. (from what I have read on this site this sounds very likely as they would have resided in London where there were problems)

I have his Marriage Certificate in 1895 now in my posession and he married as MCLAVEN and his father was named as Edward MCLAVEN (Farmer) who I can not trace. I have accessed the UK & Scotland Website and can not find his father on any Census's.

I have his death Certificate in 1907 where he was named as Frederick Sydney George McLaven aged 40. He died in a Lunatic Asylum and we have his medical notes which are sad reading.

Has any ideas of perhaps I can go about finding his Birth or do you think that perhaps he was Adopted or his Parents had died due to him being in Boys home ??

I have approached some sites to see if I can get any more information of the Sydney Laven at the Reformatory School. I still await to hear.

Many thanks & hope that someone may be able to help.

Ragna