PDA

View Full Version : Hawker

erica bauman
27-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Hi, I have discovered one of a friends ancestors has "hawker' and what looks like "Cos" as his occupation. But as he was neither employed or employer can I safely presume that he was a self employed salesman of some kind? Any ideas as to what the Cos would mean?
It was on the 1891 census rg12/362 I am still struggling to read his name ,! But he is living with his daughter Jane Hall, A widow. in St Mary, Newington

Wirral
28-11-2006, 12:11 AM
What about Cos being short for Costermonger - "a seller of eatables around the street" according to Brewer's Dictionary? It is written in a different hand by whoever was categorizing the different occupations.

Could the name be Thomas Taylor?

get2BJ
28-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Hi Erica,

Looks like Thomas Layton (or Taylor as indexed by Ancestry), Hawker [Cos]. Cos may be an abbreviation of costermonger - a seller of fruit and vegeatables. Do you have Jane Hall's marriage certicate? This would state her father's name and occupation.

Brenda

jeeb
28-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Hi Erica,
I am fairly certain the man's name is Thomas Taylor with surname written first.
Cos will almost certainly mean Costermonger, ie someone who sells from a street barrow.

Cheers Jeremy

erica bauman
28-11-2006, 3:05 AM
Thank you all so much for pointing out the obvious. Costermonger "Duh" why didn't I think of that! Unfortunatly Jane Hall's marriage is one of the many that I cannot find. Her "husband" was Edward born1859 Newcastle [1881 census] So I was thrilled when I saw that her parents were in the same house. That has never happened for anyone that "I" am looking for! erica

jeeb
28-11-2006, 9:25 AM
Hi Erica,
This is probably what you are looking for:-

Edward Hall & Jane Taylor St Saviour Southwark Oct/Dec 1877 Vol 1d Page 17

Cheers Jeremy

erica bauman
28-11-2006, 4:09 PM
Jeremy, My friend said to tell you , "You are wonderful"! Thankyou for this reference.Now she has another branch to follow. erica