PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire Regiments

phoebe1
13-11-2004, 4:13 AM
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'm wondering - Does anyone have (or know where I could find) the names of the Yorkshire regiments that were sent to fight in both Boer War campaigns? I am trying to trace my Grandfathers military career. His name was John William BOWE (b 1881, Windleston, Durham, married in Middlesbrough 1907). He fought in the Boer War but I am at a brick wall trying to find out which Regiment he was with.
I have a photo of him in his army uniform he is wearing a great coat which has no identification and the photo is not clear enough to identify the cap badge - looks like a circle of leaves with a cross in the middle, both surmounted by a crown.
Thanks so much for your help
Wendy in Canada

Geoffers
13-11-2004, 9:08 AM
[Does anyone have (or know where I could find) the names of the Yorkshire regiments that were sent to fight in both Boer War campaigns? I am trying to trace my Grandfathers military career. His name was John William BOWE (b 1881, Windleston, Durham, married in Middlesbrough 1907). He fought in the Boer War but I am at a brick wall trying to find out which Regiment he was with. Wendy in Canada]

Good news and bad news. The bad news first, the record you want are in The National Archvies (TNA) at Kew (London) and are not available online.

Good news - Rather than try to find which regiments went to South Africa, work at it from the individual record instead. First place to look at in TNA is the Medal Roll held in document class WO100. This will give you name, rank, regt.

The vast majority of Soldiers' Documents (service records) for soliders discharged before 1913 are also held at Kew in document class WO97. The soldiers' documents reocrd name, date and place of birth, occupation on joining, next-of-kin, details of army service, date and place of discharge.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

phoebe1
17-11-2004, 1:43 AM
Thanks for your suggestions Geoffers - at least it's somewhere to begin.

Natalie
30-12-2004, 9:04 AM
Hi Phoebe
I've just checked out Kevin Asplin's site and there's a J W Bowes 35584 who served in the Imperial Yeomanry.
Through this site I discovered that my husband's grandfather was with the Yorkshire Dragoons, and I was able to get his military records, so it was really helpful. You can do a google search by just typing in Kevin Asplin Military Resources.
Hope this helps! Natalie

John1950
11-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi, I am new to the forum and I hope someone has some information that will help me! My father was a member of he TA in north Yorkshire in 1939 and fought and was badly wounded in the second world war, he would never talk of his experiences and now that he has died (some years ago) and I have no relatives that can help me I have no idea as to where to get any information about his record, all I know is that he was wounded in Europe somewhere. I have his birth and death certificates, but no army number or which regiment. He my have had his reasons for not wanting to talk about the war and what happened to him and I respect that, but, he was and is my father and I have a need to know what he went through. Any suggestions that would help my search. Thanks John.