PDA

View Full Version : Tandys

malammurphy
25-11-2006, 4:00 PM
I Am Trying To Trace The Tandy Family, There Seems To Be A Lot Of Them All Born About The Same Time. I Am Looking For The Parents Of William Tandy Born 1870 In Worcestershire. Could Anyone Help Please. His Father Appears To Have Either Changed His Name From William James To James, But I Am Confused!! Help Please.

Yegvard
25-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi,

As you say there are TANDYs all over the place. Could you be more specific with where you think he was born. Was this info from a birth certificate?

Also have you tried the online & free 1881 census transcription by the Latter Day Saints - http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

Cheers

Mike

malammurphy
27-11-2006, 4:12 PM
I HAVE TRACED THEM ON THE CENSUS FROM 1901 IN MANCHESTER WHERE IT GIVES WILLIAMS PLACE OF BIRTH AS WORCESTERSHIRE. ON THE 1871 WITH GIVES BELBROUGHTON AND HE IS WITH HIS GRANDPARENTS IN BELBROUGHTON. HIS MOTHER IS LISTED AS HARRIET (SONS WIFE) BORN IN ROMSLEY. THERE ALSO SEEMS TO BE A JAMES THAT MARRIED A HARRIET AND HAD A SON CALLED WILLIAM BORN ABOUT THE SAME TIME. IT IS WHICH ONE IS FROM MY FAMILY THAT CONFUSES ME BECAUSE WILLIAM JAMES SEEMS TO BECOME JUST JAMES ON EARLIER CENSUSES. THEY ARE ALL PROBABLY FROM THE SAME FAMILY, COUSINS AND SUCH BUT I KEEP GOING ROUND IN CIRCLES BECAUSE I CANNOT ACCESS THE BIRTH CERTS TO VERIFY WHO WILLIAM BORN 1870s FATHER WAS. THANKS FOR LETTING ME RAMBLE.

Yegvard
27-11-2006, 5:39 PM
I suggest you do some "parallel family tracking." For want of a better phrase. Start with the 1851 census, and locate all the TANDY households in Belbroughton. Then locate all the households in the 1861; accounting for old families dying out and new families starting. Repeat for 1871 and 1881. You should be able to thread each person to a family-line for 30 years. On that ground work try a marriage certificate for William. There is a very strong chance that his father's name and occupation will be given.

That information should then match the census information. If he married from home his home address will also be given. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge and send for a certificate. (Plan B: go to your local LDS family history centre and ask them to order the film of church where hi got married - same info given in parich church records. Plan C have a day out and visit Worcestershire Family History Centre and look and the Belbroughton records there.)

N.B. Please do not type in capitals. Some people consider it bad netiquette. Your interested surnames, typed in uppercase then clearly stand out. Some busy historians only very quickly scan each posting and if nothing jumps out at them they move on... Then you've lost a potential contact.

jeeb
27-11-2006, 6:44 PM
Hi malummurphy,
Your can stop going round in cicles now because here is the answer to your problem. On the 1901 census William Tandy has 2 brothers with him, James & Harry. The census states Harry was born Lincs.

1891 census Barton upon Irwell, Lancs

Ref RG12/3155 Folio 121 Page 26 Barton in Irwell
William J Tandy 45 Ship canal Lab Born Blockley Worcs
Harriet wife 42 born Blockley
William son 21 born Blockley
John T son 20 Born Lincs Grantham
Mary Ann 17 Born Grantham
James son 16 Born Grantham
George son 14 Born Leics Stonsey
Charles son 11 Born Lincs Sleaford
Harry son 10 Born Lincs Boston
David son 6 Born Lincs Boston
Fred son 5 Born Lincs Boston

1871 census Grantham Lincs

Ref RG10/3360 Folio 7 Page 7
William Tandey 25 Bricklayer Born Worcs Draycott
Harriet wife 23 Born Worcs Blockley
William son 1 Born Worcs Blockley
Thomas son 2days Born Lincs Little Gonerby
(The index gives them as Sandey but I have checked and it is Tandey)

Draycott & Blockley are next door parishes to each other in the SE corner of Worcertershire. Do not confuse your William with the Grandson in Belbroughton in 1871, this is the son of Philip & Harriet Tandy and Belbroughton is a long way away from Blockley.

The parents of your William are William James & Harriet Tandy.

Cheers Jeremy

malammurphy
28-11-2006, 7:01 PM
TE=Yegvard]I suggest you do some "parallel family tracking." For want of a better phrase. Start with the 1851 census, and locate all the TANDY households in Belbroughton. Then locate all the households in the 1861; accounting for old families dying out and new families starting. Repeat for 1871 and 1881. You should be able to thread each person to a family-line for 30 years. On that ground work try a marriage certificate for William. There is a very strong chance that his father's name and occupation will be given.

That information should then match the census information. If he married from home his home address will also be given. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge and send for a certificate. (Plan B: go to your local LDS family history centre and ask them to order the film of church where hi got married - same info given in parich church records. Plan C have a day out and visit Worcestershire Family History Centre and look and the Belbroughton records there.)

N.B. Please do not type in capitals. Some people consider it bad netiquette. Your interested surnames, typed in uppercase then clearly stand out. Some busy historians only very quickly scan each posting and if nothing jumps out at them they move on... Then you've lost a potential contact.[/QUOTE]

malammurphy
29-11-2006, 8:27 PM
Thank you both very much for your help. Sorry about my using upper case. I have not had to do a proper 'letter' type typing for years. I will have to do better in future. Bye for now. I am less confused with your help.