PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a mystery...

Doug Wildman
13-11-2004, 3:35 AM
I have a family that is perhaps untraceable... perhaps you can put in your two cents worth. Jane Wildman (born in 1840) is said to have been born in Willington, Lancashire according to the Blackburn census. There is no Willington Lancashire. She was also married to a man by the surname of Goodman, although she never took his last name nor did any of her children. William Goodman was listed as being born in Ireland, but I believe that his records were destroyed in the fire of Dublin. I am at a roadblock. Any advice?

Geoffers
13-11-2004, 9:23 AM
I have a family that is perhaps untraceable... perhaps you can put in your two cents worth. Jane Wildman (born in 1840) is said to have been born in Willington, Lancashire according to the Blackburn census. There is no Willington Lancashire. She was also married to a man by the surname of Goodman, although she never took his last name nor did any of her children. William Goodman was listed as being born in Ireland, but I believe that his records were destroyed in the fire of Dublin. I am at a roadblock. Any advice?
I can't help with Irish records.

If she never took the name of William Goodman and her children did not, then it is very likely that they did not marry, but just lived together.

Willington - In the italic handwriting of the period, the letter 'B' can (believe it or not) look very much like 'W' if you are not used to it. There is a place called Billington which is just SW of Whalley and about 6 miles NE of Blackburn (so this would fit in with her later living in Blackburn). it will turn up using an online map such as http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

David Wilkins
13-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Hi Doug,

I have found these in the 1871 census, you may already have them of course.

William Goodman 50 Head, Labourer b Ireland, Dublin

Jane Wildman 32 Lodger, Weaver Cotton b Wennington, Lancs

Alice Wildman 11 Scholar, b Blackburn, Lancs

Christopher Wildman 9 Scholar, b Blackburn, Lancs

Silvester Wildman 5 b Blackburn, Lancs.

David Wildman 2 b Blackburn, Lancs

Hope this helps, someone may have the 1851 or 1861 census records that might help also. Good hunting I am sure you will get there.

David, Auckland NZ

John
14-11-2004, 12:23 AM
There is no Willington Lancashire. ?
As elsewhere Doug, try pinching your nose and saying "Withington" Billington sounds good too.

John

David Wilkins
14-11-2004, 12:37 AM
Hi Doug, further to my earlier post if you type "Wennington Lancashire" into google you will get quite a bit of information about the village. The census image definely said Wennington.

David, Auckland NZ

Doug Wildman
14-11-2004, 3:03 PM
Thanks a lot. I will put this into consideration!

Doug

Doug Wildman
14-11-2004, 3:05 PM
Thank you very much for your help! I was kind of at a loss.

Doug

Joanne Weimer
21-06-2005, 3:03 PM
Born Jun 1 1799 London England
married likely twice
first wife isabella ...?
second wife also from England
Jane Emily Barrow 12/1900- 1/1881

Jane & Stephen came to Michigan around 1830 +_ 2 years
Stephen was a Baptist Minsionary from London to the Midwest
Likely they married around 1828
and she is not the mother of his first child
Rev John Story Goodman also a Baptist missionary

I am not able to find any information about
Baptist Minsionary from London to the Midwest
other than it existed

Jane and Stephen came with 2 sons

Rev John Story Goodman and Alfred Goodman
both sons and father were Michigan Pioneers
I can share great detail about this family and their lineage in Michigan

family lore had it that the Goodmans were Irish
which after research I doubt
my gg grandfather Rev John Story Goodman died of a stroke the night his son married an Irish Catholic
Anna Hewitt

Martin Wildman
12-01-2006, 3:31 PM
Hello Doug... This is Martin Wildman from Devon England! You wondered what had happened to the Wildman's well I believe I may well be one of your distant cousins. My great great grandfather was William Goodman and he was married to Jane Wildman. I had, in tracing my family tree backwards, got to the stumbling block that you had done by finding out about William Goodman, and wondering why his sons and daughters were called Wildman and not Goodman. Anyway, that's doesn't really matter now. What you want to know is what happened to the Wildman's after that. Well, Sylvester Wildman was my great-grandfather (William's son) and he married a Maria Gibbons. They had a son called Gilbert (my grandfather) and he was born in Kelbrook, in Lancashire in 1892. He lived with my nan Louise, for most of his life in Preston Lancashire. He fought in World War I in the Lancashire Regiment and was a toolmaker by trade. He had one child called Malcolm who is my dad (and is standing behind me!) who was born in 1942. He is now 63 and is married to my mum June. I've got all of the old documents for the family tree. And we live in a large village in Devonshire called Kingsteignton. In this part of Devon there are eight Wildman's and I'm one of them! I'm Malcolm's son Martin.
Hope to hear from you soon, and you can e-mail me... cheers!all the best, Martin Wildman.

Wirral
12-01-2006, 5:42 PM
Just found them on the 1861 census. Jane Wildman wasn't married to William Goodman. She was married to John Wildman. Goodman was her maiden name & William Goodman was her father. That's why the children were named Wildman.

:confused: Just looked at the 1851 census. Jane is now described as a step-daughter of William. I am now beginning to doubt that she ever married anyone! :eek: I'll post the censuses & let you sort it all out.

Wirral
12-01-2006, 7:37 PM
Think I have it worked out now.

From the IGI: Jane Wildman c.15 Sep 1835 Tatham, Lancashire. Father John Goodman, mother Alice [also Alison c.19 Sep 1841, Alice c. 4 Feb 1844]
From FreeBMD:
John Wildman married June quarter 1838 Lancaster vol 21, page 255. Also on same page is Alice Gifford.
William Goodman married Alice Wildman December quarter 1847 Lancaster vol 21, page 341.
Alice Wildman born March quarter 1844 Lancaster
There are a couple of possible deaths of John Wildman 1843/1844.

Wirral
12-01-2006, 7:45 PM
1851 census HO107/2277 folio 54 page 22 High Bentham, Yorkshire

William Goodman head M 30 ag lab Ireland Dublin
Alice Goodman wife M 34 Yorks. Ingleton
Margaret Goodman dau 2 Yorks Bentham
David Goodman son 3mo Yorks Bentham
Jane Wildman step-dau 11 Lancs. Hornby
Allison Wildman step-son [?!] 9 Lancs. Hornby
Alice Wildman step-dau 8 Lancs Latham
Hugh Riley lodger U 28 Pedlar - hardware, Ireland Belfast
Lurns [?, male] Riley lodger U 32 Pedlar - hardware Ireland Belfast
John Quick lodger U 47 ag lab Lancs West Derby
John Harmons [?] U 35 ag lab Ireland Coty. Antrim

contd.

Wirral
12-01-2006, 7:57 PM
contd.

1861 census RG9/3094 folio 109 page 16, Harly[?] St, Blackburn
William Goodwin head Widr 40 labourer Whitehaven
Margaret Goodman dau U 15 cotton weaver, Yorks. Bentham
David Goodman son U 11 cotton weaver, Yorks Bentham
Jane Wildman dau U 22 cotton winder, Lancs Hornby
John Wildman son-in-law U 20 cotton weaver, Lancs Hornby
Alice Wildman grandau U 8, Lancs Hornby
Elizabeth Wildman grandau U 1 Lancs Blackburn

1871 census RG10/4179 folio 170 page 36, Nabb Lane Blackburn, Lancs
William Goodman, head, widr, 50 labourer, Ireland Dublin
Jane Wildman lodger W 32 Winder cotton, Lancs Wennington
Alice Goodman lodger 11 scholar Lancs Blackburn
Christopher Wildman lodger 9 scholar, Lancs Blackburn

Wirral
12-01-2006, 7:58 PM
AARRGGH. Got hit by the text repeating bug!|rant|
Think I've fixed it.

Wirral
12-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Now what is Jane up to? :confused: Here she is in 1881.

RG11/4193 folio 8 page 10, 22 Lune St, Blackburn Lancashire
William Goodman head Mar 58 Railway laborer, Ireland
Jane Wildman servant Mar 41 Servant Lancs Blackburn
Alice Wildman dau Unm 21, C. Weaver, Lancs Blackburn
Alice Wildman sist[?] Unm 19 C.weaver, Lancs Blackburn
Silvester Wildman son 15 C.weaver, Lancs Blackburn
David Wildman son 12 C.weaver half timer, Lancs Blackburn
Margaret Wildman dau 9 scholar Lancs Blackburn
Mary Wildman dau 7 scholar Lancs Blackburn
John Wildman son 5 Lancs Blackburn
Gilbert Wildman son 4 Lancs Blackburn
Daniel Wildman son 1 Lancs Blackburn

So who are the 2 Alices? :confused: And why is Alison used as a male name in the Wildman family? There are 4 Alison/Allison Wildmans in the 1891 census, all male. Alison Wildman age 9 in the 1851 census really was a stepson, not a step-daughter to William Goodman. Has Jane had 8 children by her mother's 2nd husband? It is beginning to sound like the serial "Soap"!:D

Martin Wildman
14-01-2006, 6:23 PM
That's why [if Jane wasn't married] on her son Sylvester's birth certificate [born 1866][which i have] the father was an X - so unlisted... If John Wildman was the father, why the X? I reckon Sylvester was illegitamate, but she just used the name... John must have been awol or, more likely, dead.

Wirral
14-01-2006, 6:51 PM
I'm wondering whether John Wildman in the 1861 census is actually the same person as Allison Wildman in the 1851 census. I've never come across Alison as a male name before, as it is a Scots girl's name. But looking on the IGI & censuses there are quite a number of male Alisons in England. Has anybody else come across the name being used for boy?

Doug Wildman
16-02-2006, 2:26 PM
Hmmm. This means that Jane's father was John Wildman and her lover was John Wildman (perhaps a cousin or second cousin?). Obviously it was two different John Wildmans because the father of Jane's children was two years younger than her and her father died when she was 5 or 6.

Who are Elizabeth, Christopher and Daughter Alice (#2)? They don't show up consistantly throughout the census records. Perhaps she took them in or adopted at some point? Not sure.

I suppose it is possible that Jane had an affair with her stepfather. There were 17 years between them. This is speculation, but I suppose anything is possible.

As for the Alison question... I always thought it was strange that Alice Cooper was a man's name (-: This Alison is the same age as John Wildman, but if he is John Wildman that would mean that he fathered children from his sister. I have a hard time imagining that, especially under William's roof and being listed as "son-in-law" to boot.

Just some thoughts,

Doug