PDA

View Full Version : Forums and server problems 24 November

Rod Neep
24-11-2006, 5:20 PM
Apologies for the apparent server problems today and yesterday.

There has been a serious hacking attempt into the server, taking up lots of processing time. There could in fact be two hackers (or maybe the same one), from a place near Liverpool and also from Peking in China.

Its a bit of a nightmare fighting it at the moment.
bear with us please.

Rod

AnnB
24-11-2006, 6:17 PM
Guessed it was another hacker at work - you must be getting really fed up with them by now.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that when we can't access the site these days, we realise it is some idiot trying to cause havoc. If it is the same person, they have a long commute between Liverpool and Peking!

Don't worry Rod, we'll bear with you ;)

Best wishes
Ann

Copper
24-11-2006, 6:47 PM
I guessed it was some idiot at work. All we can do is wait for them to get bored and go away. I feel sorry for you Rod as I know how stressed my husband gets when his server is hacked

Rod Neep
25-11-2006, 11:27 AM
I find it a bit incredible that someone would even try, or to even bother doing this. There's nothing of interest to any hacker on this server anyway. Nothing to be gained. (This is a totally different server to the one used by Archive CD Books, and even in a different location, and the two are not connected in any way whatsoever).

But it does feel as though someone is trying to break into my house just to ransack the place. Mindless vandalism. But it does bring closer the day that I decide to pull the plug and retire, switch off the computers and go fishing and play golf.

Rod

busyglen
25-11-2006, 11:41 AM
I wasn't able to try and get back on yesterday, but guessed what had happened, like the others.

It seems so senseless, and I can only imagine the stress that it puts you under. It's like sitting on a time-bomb waiting for it to go off. We all know how we feel when our computer goes wrong or is invaded.....this is a hundred times worse!

I do hope that the person(s) has got tired and moves on and leaves you in peace!

Glenys

BeeE586
25-11-2006, 3:38 PM
This is on a par with the person or persons who tried to sabotage the work of a local Animal Sanctuary by making scurrilous accusations of fraud and unfair dealing against the proprietor which were published in a local newspaper. The Charity Commissioners carried out an investigation and the charges were proved to be entirely without foundation, but ........... what damage has been done ?

Are there really people who have so little going for them in their lives that they have to resort to finding ways to hurt others just to pass the time ? Do they think it is just some big joke ?

Eileen

PS I have been having problems this morning and 'lost' two pages of posts. Rod, you have my sympathy, and admiration for your efforts to keep the Forum going..

HiFly
26-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Rod - Sympathies from me as well.

As until recently I worked in telecomms & IT, I can say that many 'hacker attacks' are actually automated.....it's only if the 'bots' (shortened bastardisation of 'robots' name) get through that a human may get involved...

Usual reason is to see if there in financial data or personal data stored - which can lead to financial data - and of course this site DOES have a lot of names - which could be sold!!!! (Most dead of course!! So no rich pickings there then - you lot have already probably spent all your inheritances!!)

So who does these 'meaningless' attacks - actually - hi-tech, low-life, tech-savvy aware criminals....of one sort or another.

HiFly