PDA

View Full Version : My Warwickshire interests

tim england
04-10-2004, 9:08 AM
I think it's about time there was more than the welcome message so.... here goes :)

My interests in Warwickshire are the following (my Warwickshire grandparents)

ENGLAND - from Stoneleigh, Wormleighton
CARTER - Kenilworth, Barford, Wellesbourne, Stratford, Alderminster
OAKLEY - Kenilworth, Kings Norton, Birmingham

They married to

GRANT - New Bilton
LEE - Coventry
SPRIGGS - Dunchurch
SANDERS - Birmingham
WARING - Birmingham
BRAIN(E) - Brailes
TOMBLIN - Wooton Wawen

There are other surnames still to looked at (spouses of siblings, parents of the last 7 names.......)

Cheers

Tim

valerie p
03-11-2004, 1:51 PM
Hi Tim,
You give no dates of these people but have you come across the village of Ratley in South Warwickshire, very near the Glos/ Oxfordshire borders?
Interesting place, almost a cul de sac with no through road. Lots of the villagers were masons & stone workers connected with the quarrying of the particular stone found there, blue lias is the name of it.

In the 1840-1850's there were many families of England living there. Some are later known to move north to Leamington Spa, Kenilworth & Birmingham.
Stoneleigh is very near to Leamington.
I am not connected, I helped a fellow researcher with the name.
Happy hunting,
Valerie p

tim england
03-11-2004, 6:42 PM
Hi Valerie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have found lots of Englands in Ratley but I haven't found any connection to my ancestors. I suspect there is a link but I have still to find it.

Any link is at or before the GGG Grandfather level. I still have to discover where he was born.

Thanks again

Tim

janbooth
21-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Hello Tim,

Have you got the 1851 census information. I had a quick look, and there is a family of ENGLANDs in Stoneleigh, none however in Wormleighton. There are CARTERs in Kenilworth, Barford and Stratford and OAKLEYs in Kenilworth and lots in Birmingham. Let me know if you haven't got these details and any info that you do have and I will get back to you.

Janet.

O Sansom
21-11-2004, 11:21 PM
Hi Tim

I noticed the name 'England' many times when searching the LDS film of Births, Marriages and Deaths registers for Barford, Warwickshire, from the early 1700s through 1760. The film covers Barford Parish Regs from 1538-1980 but my Fretwells moved out of the county so I've not looked at later entries. Hope this helps.

Good luck. Olive

O Sansom
21-11-2004, 11:36 PM
My ancestor, John Fretwell, married Mary Odell in Barford, Warwickshire on October 5 1743. I'd be glad to hear from anyone tracing the Fretwell family as that is the earliest record I have of him in Warwickshire. The Odells seem to have been there for several generations but I've been unable to find John Fretwell there prior to his marriage. The Fretwells seem to originate in Yorkshire, and moved into Derbyshire and Leicestershire in the late 1600-early 1700s, so any help would be appreciated.

Olive in Vancouver

tim england
23-11-2004, 1:35 PM
Olive,

Thanks for the information about Barford - I will investigate but at the moment I haven't really traced my England line back to the 18th century. My 3 x G grandfather was born about 1800 somewhere in Warwickshire. I still have to find out where!

Tim