PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Brown

kenuk
20-11-2006, 2:14 PM
Hi i'm looking to find Joseph Brown b1894 Father William John Brown he had siblings I think one was Nicole Brown.Joseph was a miner in Brandon when he died in 1973 he spent all his working life in the pits.I have his death cert and mariage cert but cant find out where he was born.Is anyone in a position to help.Regards Ken

blue eyes
20-11-2006, 4:55 PM
What part of the country is Brandon in?. Had a look on the 1901 census came up with 11 Joseph Brown's born 1894 with father William and 18 with 2 yrs either side of his year of birth.

Julie

Peter Goodey
20-11-2006, 5:17 PM
Hi i'm looking to find Joseph Brown b1894 Father William John Brown
The birth certificate is the next step. I imagine there will be too many Joseph Brown for you to identify him yourself so you may have to get GRO to do the checking for you.

If there's a sibling with an unusual name you could go down that road but frankly I don't believe Nicole.

Mutley
20-11-2006, 6:13 PM
If Brandon is in Suffolk, then on the 1901 census there is a Joseph with father William. The age is a bit out but it is the only one showing up.

Name: Joseph Brown
Estimated birth year: abt 1899
Relation: Son
Father's name: Wiliam
Mother's name: Ellen
Where born: Wenhaston, Suffolk, England

Civil parish: Wenhaston
Ecclesiastical parish: Wenhaston St Peter
Town: Wenhaston
County/Island: Suffolk

Registration district: Blything
Sub-registration district: Wenhaston
ED, institution, or vessel: 2

Household Members: Name Age
Elizabeth Brown 2 months
Ellen Brown 31
Isaac Brown 5
Joseph Brown 2
Wiliam Brown 35
William Brown 7
Class: RG13; Piece: 1796; Folio: 23; Page: 10.

Mutley

kenuk
22-11-2006, 3:45 PM
Hi thank you for your replies.He was a miner in Brandon Colliery Durham l believe for all of his working life except for the time he spent in the Army in the first world war.All we know is what I have already stated unfortunately.On his death cert it says he was born in Sunderland 27th Dec 1894 I have got a birth cert but it has the wrong father so putting doubt either on where or when he was born this date was given at the time of death by my uncle.I asked another of my uncles (Joseph's son)and he say's his birthday was right but did'nt seem to definate at the time could be wrong year so I have been looking at that.I have his Marriage cert which reads:June 9th 1919 Parish church Parish of St Oswald Durham Joseph Brown 24 Martha Ann Graveling 21 Halgarth Street Langly Moor Fathers Name William John Brown and Esau Graveling Witnesses Lillie Ann Cornforth and James Graveling.We found that Lillie Ann Cornforth married William C Graveling the same year.So if any one can help to Find Joseph Brown that would help to complete my tree.Best regards Ken