PDA

View Full Version : william wiggins

kipperkev
19-11-2006, 1:27 PM
Hi, have found out that my gt gt gt grandfather was william wiggins born appx 1794 ( as his son Charles was born 1819) Does anyone have any information please? He was born I assume around Leafield/Burford/Fulbrook as thats where my gt gt gfather was.
Regards
Kevin

Peter Goodey
19-11-2006, 2:41 PM
william wiggins born appx 1794 ( as his son Charles was born 1819)
What was the name of Charles' mother?

janbooth
19-11-2006, 5:20 PM
There is a William WIGGINS baptised 27 August 1797 at Leafield son of David & Jane according to the OFHS transcripts - could he be yours?? There is also the baptism on 14 June 1818 of Charles WIGGINS son of Wm & Kitty Maria, labourer and a baptism on 12 November 1820 of a William son of William & Kittey Maria, labourer.

However, there is also the marriage at St Giles Oxford on 10 October 1808 of a William WIGGINS and a Retty (perhaps could be Kitty?) Maria TEBBY, sojourners, by Banns, both made their mark. Witnesses: John HARRISS Christian HARRISS.

Hope this helps.

Janet

kipperkev
26-11-2006, 9:50 PM
Peter,I'm sorry I don't know this yet i am only a novice at the moment!
its hard work this genealogy isn't it? I only have my gt gt grandfather charles's wedding certificate which is surprising as his father is quoted as william wiggins, yet Sarah Cook (his wife) father is down as John Wiggins!!??
Regards Kevin

janbooth
27-11-2006, 9:18 AM
Kevin,

Where and when were Charles and Sarah married as the parish register record might have the correct information re their fathers names.

Janet

kipperkev
27-11-2006, 6:28 PM
Jan
Charles and Sarah were married on 2nd August 1845 at the Parish Church in the parish of Burford. I have a copy of their certificate with the names William Wiggins as Charle's father, but John Wiggins for the father of Sarah. Do you think it would be in the Parish record with the correct names. If so how would I go about this please?
Many thanks
Kevin

janbooth
28-11-2006, 9:57 AM
Kevin,

According to the OFHS Parish Register Transcripts of Burford:

2 August 1845 WIGGINS Chas, bachelor, full age, labourer married Sar COOK, spinster, minor, servant both of Burford by Banns. Both made their mark.
Fathers: William WIGGINs, labourer and Jn WIGGINS, labourer
Witnesses: Cornelius CHURN, Martha TAYLOR (both made their mark) and Edw. Phil. COOPER.

I would assume that Sarah's father should read John COOK as she is shown as a spinster and a minor. However, the only baptism I can find of a Sarah COOK at Burford is one on 7 March 1824 to an Eliz COOK, single woman which could well explain why Sarah's father is shown as Jn WIGGINS on her marriage record but not why she is shown as a minor.

I have looked on the 1841 census for a Sarah COOK and there is this one in Burford which could well be her:

HO107/872/17, folio 12, page 16
North Side, Church Lane

Joseph COOK 75 Ag Lab Born in county yes
Ann do 77 yes
Sarah do 10 yes

There is a baptism in Burford on 25 July 1800 of an Eliza COOK daughter of Jos. so the above are likely to be the grandparents of your Sarah.

Hope this helps clarify the situation somewhat and if you want to look through parish register transcriptions the Oxfordshire Family History Society do a marvellous job of producing both CDs and Fiche for most of the parishes and the CDs are available.

Janet

Pennie
01-12-2006, 9:29 PM
Hi Kevin ...

I have the Fulbrook PRs, but this is the only baptism entry for a William WIGGINS (and possibly too early):

17 OCT 1779 - William WIGGINS, s. Richard

(mothers' names were not recorded)

No record of a marriage or burial for William in Fulbrook.

Pennie

kipperkev
14-04-2009, 4:13 PM
Hi Peter
I trust I find you well?
I am still plodding on with my research but at a bit of a "lose end"!
I believe that my gt gt gt grandfather DID marry Kitty Maria Tebby.
Davud and Jane seem to be Williams parents, but I'm sure somewhere I found out that this William bpt 1797 died early.
Any way you can help me please?
Regards
Kevin

janiegirl
27-04-2009, 3:30 PM
Hi Kipper

I have WIGGINS in my family tree from that area too!

You may find it useful to look at the website for the PRATLEY one name study. They have some WIGGINS listed, they have 2 Willams, neither the right year but there may be others listed that are connected to you.

Janiegirl