PDA

View Full Version : Royal Field Artillery

Chloe
18-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone has any ideas where I go now looking for my grandfather , well I think he is, who died oct 1917. I have his army number and have found his grave at Tyne Cot, online. I then went to search for his army records at Kew but couldn't find them ( they had been destroyed in the WW2 bombing). I did find out that he had enlisted in Shepherds Bush as one of the researchers found out a bit more detail for me. The thing was his age was unknown so I have no way of checking if this is really my grandfather. I then downloaded his medal card but this didn't tell me anything either other than 6 died that day.

Also, I have found out very little about the RFA 77th battalion 'A' bty which he served in, so would be grateful if anyone can send me in the right direction to find out more about the battalion.

Thank you if you can help.

Chloe

tommy166
19-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Try

http://www.1914-1918.net/

for lots of info on WW1

and

http://www.regiments.org/default.htm

may help as well.

Tom

Terry Reeves
19-11-2006, 8:23 AM
77 Brigade RFA was originally part of 16th (Irish) Division which it joined on 30th July 1915. Whilst in the UK, they were stationed at Aldershot and Borden in Hampshire. During this period , they were detached from the Division to be re-equipped, rejoining it in France on 22.2.16.

A re-organisation of the Field Artillery later saw them redesignated as 77 Army Field Brigade RFA.

For day to day events see the following War Diaries at the National Archive:

77 Brigade RFA - WO 95/324 covering Oct 1914 to Dec 1916

77 Army Field Artillery Brigade RFA - WO95 / 203 covering Jan 1917 to Aug 1919.

Terry Reeves

Chloe
19-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Many, many thanks Tommy and Terry, off to search for the regiment now.

Do you think even if the documents are destroyed I will ever be able to find out anymore information than I already have?

Chloe

Geoffers
19-11-2006, 11:51 AM
It's always worthwhile including a name when posting a message - someone may recognise it.

A few thoughts......

Is the surname less common and so is it registered with the Guild of One-Name Studies?

Is there a regimental museum and does this hold any records?

Have you been able to obtain a death certificate for him - does this record his age?

Is his age recorded on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web-site?

Is any more information recorded on the National Roll of the Great War?

Is any useful information shown on the list of Soldiers who died in the Great War?

He presumably married at sometime, have you been able to find a marriage certificate which will give an age, what was his occupation at time of marriage?

Chloe
19-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Hi Geoffers,

Thank you for your thoughts....

His name was Charles Frederick Palmer, married 1909 and he was 29 years of age. His occupation was packer in Incandescent Mantle factory, so yes I do have his marriage certificate. Also a death certificate that doesn't record his age.

His army number is L 35945.

I went on a war records site when I was at Kew and I found out the information that said he had enlisted in Shepherds Bush, London, also it stated that he resided in Harlow, which I didn't know.

So every since I have read the replies I have down nothing but search for information on the 16th Irish and the RFA. have learnt things which is good but I am none the wiser about 'old Charlie' here:)

Many thanks all.

Chloe

Chloe
22-11-2006, 3:11 PM
Hello Terry,

Wanted to say thank you for the reference numbers you gave me, they were spot on. Went to Kew yesterday and could have sat there for a week reading the diaries.

It was a shame that I didn't realise the procedure as I had taken no money with me and could only get two pages photocopied, but I was a very happy lady last night.

Chloe

Terry Reeves
28-11-2006, 6:16 PM
Chloe

If you have a digital camera, take it with you next time you go, it will save a small fortune in photocopying costs. You need to register the camera in the photcopying room and sign a copyright declaration. Camera stands are provided in the part of the reading room nearest the windows, you just need to make sure you book a seat in that part of the room.

Good luck with your research.

Terry Reeves