PDA

View Full Version : St Lawrences formerly Caterham Asylum

dottie1
18-11-2006, 7:21 PM
Does anyone have any information from year 1947 onwards? Or should I contact the Metropolitian Archives?

Peter Goodey
18-11-2006, 10:37 PM
What sort of information?

If you're asking for stuff about patients I believe you'll have to clear it with the appropriate NHS authority first. I imagine they'll want proof of death for such a recent date. When you've got clearance then you can try the LMA who have records to 1973 or so.

Mutley
18-11-2006, 10:54 PM
If you enter
Caterham Asylums
into Google UK loads of sites give you historical information for eg:

http://www.institutions.org.uk/asylums/metroplitan_asylums_board.htm

workhouses.org.uk

From 1920 to 1941, the asylum was known as Caterham Mental Hospital. In 1930, administration of the hospital passed to the London County Council. It then had 323 beds plus a nursery unit. In 1941, it became St Lawrence's Hospital and continued to provide care for the mentally handicapped.

Follow Peter's advice and seek permission from the NHS Council concerned.

Regards Mutley

dottie1
22-11-2006, 9:28 AM
What sort of information?

If you're asking for stuff about patients I believe you'll have to clear it with the appropriate NHS authority first. I imagine they'll want proof of death for such a recent date. When you've got clearance then you can try the LMA who have records to 1973 or so.

I now have contact with Metropolitian Archives and a reference number to start my search:)