PDA

View Full Version : Why weren't they recognized?

fiftiesfury
17-11-2006, 10:55 PM
My Father-in-Law was an engine driver in the war and transported arms, ammo and soldiers to the ports. Why were they not awarded the Defence Medal??

ChristineR
18-11-2006, 1:26 AM
http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/wwii_medals.htm

Check this website for the requirements to qualify - if your father-in-law qualifies then is is probably not too late to apply for a medal.

I had a quick read - civilians who didn't leave the country didn't qualify until after a year, but was reduced to six months if that area was threatened by air raids.

Another thing - the reason that he never received one might be that he was not contactable after the war - they were not just sent out - forms were sent and had to be returned, and then the medal was issued. Has he discussed this with any official office?

ChristineR

LynA
18-11-2006, 8:32 AM
I know someone who worked on aircraft production through the war. At the same time he was in the home guard. I believe he might be entitled to the medal, BUT don't want to put him through the fuss of forms being sent off and the possibility of the disappointment if the medal is refused for any technicality.:(

Lynda

fiftiesfury
17-12-2006, 1:43 PM
I know someone who worked on aircraft production through the war. At the same time he was in the home guard. I believe he might be entitled to the medal, BUT don't want to put him through the fuss of forms being sent off and the possibility of the disappointment if the medal is refused for any technicality.:(

Lynda

I have bitten the bullet and asked the MOD. They have phoned my Father in Law and are looking into it.

LynA
17-12-2006, 11:41 PM
I have bitten the bullet and asked the MOD. They have phoned my Father in Law and are looking into it.
I hope all goes well. Please let us know what the outcome is.
Lynda

Ladkyis
17-12-2006, 11:47 PM
perhaps that section of 'manning and records' will be more efficient that the ones that deal with promotions and postings. My son was promoted to staff sergeant in the early summer and is still waiting tohear from them.

fiftiesfury
20-12-2006, 8:52 PM
Well, the MOD said that my Father-in-Law, although he ran the gauntlet every day/night from London to Dover etc carrying Ammo, Arms, Tanks, Army Personnel etc is not entitled to the Defence Medal!

LynA
20-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Well, the MOD said that my Father-in-Law, although he ran the gauntlet every day/night from London to Dover etc carrying Ammo, Arms, Tanks, Army Personnel etc is not entitled to the Defence Medal!
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( It must be very disappointing for you. It is sad that the dangers faced by people in the UK during WW2 are not recognised more.

Lynda