PDA

View Full Version : Chaplin/ Godfrey Leicester marriage lookup

perseus
16-11-2006, 9:41 AM
Hi I am looking for the marriage between 1851-1861 of
John Chaplin b Bedworth 1810
& Ann Godfrey, nee Budworth nee Fellows b Willoughby Waterless/ Grt Bowden 1813. Ann's father's name was John Fellows. No idea of John Chaplin's father's name.

Ann was twice widowed.John was widowed also. His wife Catherine (Aldridge)died between 1851 & 1861(in Leicester) ,as did John Godfrey ( in Tamworth)
I have all the censuses but am having difficlties with this particular marriage.

John Chaplin died in Leicester 1882 at his daughter's home, and Ann died in the Leicester Workhouse in 1885.

Appreciate any help

Maggie

janeomega
16-11-2009, 3:22 PM
John Chaplin who married 1. Cath Aldridge married 2.1880 Ann Godfrey, he was the son of John Chaplain 1776-1815 who married 1798 Martha Mills, who remarried in 1815 to William brown.

jane Stubbs

jane AT treestubbs DOT com

pottoka
16-11-2009, 7:38 PM
There doesn't seem to be a death registration for a Catherine Chaplin in Leicester between 1851 and 1861. Perhaps she and John split up for some reason, and John set up house with Ann Godfrey who called herself his wife. If this is the case, they may never have married or may have married later.

There is a marriage registration for a John Chaplin in Leicester in 1857 where there is only one female name for two males, but there is no Ann Godfrey in the lists that quarter of that year. The next one in Leicester is in 1885 which would be too late for him!

If they were intending to make a bigamous marriage, they might have gone somewhere where nobody would know them.

perseus
14-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Can't believe that I didn't update this query.
Actually found a marriage between John Chapman & Ann Godfrey. When the certificate arrived( bought out of desperation) , it was indeed the marriage that I needed. Info on Ann was correct as her 2 previous marriages & maiden name all matched. Interestingly one of John's sons was a witness and he was rightly credted with being a Chaplin

janeomega
29-07-2010, 10:35 AM
John Chaplin married Ann Godfrey the Dec quarter 1860 at Leicester he married under the name John Chapman

His first wife Catherine died Dec quarter 1853 as Catherine Chapman

They are buried at Welford Road, cemetery

Jane Stubbs

perseus
29-07-2010, 3:13 PM
Hi Jane

Thanks for the date & info on Catherine. Though I find John married as Chapman instead of Chaplin, I didn't think to look for a death for Catherine Chapman. I can add that now to my info. In fact my connection is through Ann Godfrey. she was my gggrandmother.

perseus
29-07-2010, 3:25 PM
Hi Jane
Looked for a burial for Catherine Chapman in Welford Rd but couldn't find one. Where did you see it?
I have Ann's burial and also John's. Not together. Ann was buried with Law folk. Her daughter Patience married a Law. John was buried with his daughter Elisabeth Brown

Maggie