PDA

View Full Version : liverpool to guelph canada

margie12
15-11-2006, 1:38 AM
I would like to find the record for my grandfather fred thomas born 1890 clayton manchester, he emigrated to guelph canada sometime between 1910 and 1914, I am told he boarded ship in liverpool, to join his brother
john henry thomas born around 1870
john H stayed in Canada but fred returned to england before ww1
can any member advise me where would a ship from liverpool to canada dissembark would it be a canadian port or possibly an american port.
many thanks for any help you might give
margaret

DebbieAnn
15-11-2006, 3:24 AM
Not a direct answer, but I may have found John in the 1911 census:
Living in Toronto West, where Guelph is located: address is hard to read, but looks like #4, Constance, Toronto West, Sub-District 73 - Ward 6

Thomas, John; b: Jul 1871; immigrated: 1880; occ: Printing manufacturer
Thomas, Anne; b: Nov 1881; immigrated: 1897
Thomas, Paul John b: Jul 1910

Fred is not there at that time...

Debbie

Jfremont
15-11-2006, 5:25 AM
The answer is that he may have gone directly to Canada or via the US. During the 1910-14 time period there were many immigrants that came from Liverpool to Quebec and then traveled by train to wherever they were going. My grandparents came via this route and went to Guelph in 1906. I found them in passenger records but as far as I know most of those records are not indexed so it is a labourous job wading through them if you don't have a time line to work with.

John

margie12
15-11-2006, 6:15 PM
Debbie Ann
thank you but I think this is the wrong John Henry because he is in lancashire england on the 1901 census also his wife sarah died in lancs uk in 1910, I think thats when he emigrated, I know John H also called jack stayed in Canada, my grandad fred left his wife at home so he returned.
but thanks so much for looking for me

Jfremont,
Thats interesting about travelling from Quebec as we were always told grandad went guelph Quebec but I now know that Guelph isnt in Quebec so perhaps this is where the mistake arises from, Last night after I posted this I found the records site on line so I will try to workthrough them myself, I looked at the american records online and fred wasnt there so I hope you are right, thanks for the info

many thanks for both replies

margaret

Geoffers
15-11-2006, 8:48 PM
I would like to find the record for my grandfather fred thomas born 1890 clayton manchester,Which record after you searching for, birth, marriage, passenger list?

can any member advise me where would a ship from liverpool to canada dissembark would it be a canadian port or possibly an american port.If you knew what she he sailed on, this would narrow things down for you. Unfortunately passenger lists (held by TNA) are not too easy to use. See TNA's research guide http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=106

find my past (used to be 1837online) is adding BT Passenger lists to its site, but I have no idea as to when the complete record will be available. Similarly, they have some passport applications, but only up to 1903.

Geoffers

margie12
15-11-2006, 9:38 PM
hi geoffers,
I was told by my uncle that fred sailed from liverpool, he was living in manchester at that time.
I have searched the american records without success, I found this link to the canadian ones, I am working my way through the lists as there is no index but I have a timeframe of 4 years I was told fred went to quebec but guelph isnt in quebec so I am hoping he arrived in quebec but travelled to guelph

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/passenger/001045-110.01-e.php?q1=&q2=1910&q3=&q4=&q5=liverpool&q6=&q7=&interval=20&PHPSESSID=ff9aa857bd07af828f5f318ba2bb98d5

regards margaret