PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Macmullin's

sheerdrop
09-11-2006, 9:20 AM
Hi, My step grandfather's name was Macmullin, around the mid 1930's he was a Mail Train Driver with the North Western Railway, based in Moradabad India.

I Have searched various recorde over the past two years without any refrence to this name, I believe he may have been born in India but his family came from Ireland.

What I'm looking for, is anyone with that name who may be able to give me the slightest lead.

Please help.
Ianhttp://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=156#
banghead

arthurk
09-11-2006, 7:08 PM
Hi Ian

Have you looked for other spellings of the surname? I have a McMULLAN connection, and have found it's sometimes recorded as McMULLEN (but less so when people could write their own names and spellings became fixed). It's possibly also found as McMILLAN (and variants). Apart from the difference in the final vowel, remember that "Mac" and "Mc" are often interchangeable, and I think I've heard of people adding or removing the Mac for various reasons, so maybe you need to consider names like MULLINS as well.

My McMULLAN connection is with Samuel, who married Sarah HARCOURT in Co. Armagh in 1880. I know of two sons of theirs who were alive in the 1930s: Thomas, in Queensland, Australia, and William (Willie), in Birmingham, England, but there may have been others. I don't know of any link with India, though.

Arthur