PDA

View Full Version : registering births

madbat
04-11-2006, 5:33 PM
people have been really helpful to me on this site in the past, i hope you can help me once again. My great grandmother in her baptism records is described as a foundling. She was " adopted" by another family in 1885. I haven't been able to trace a date of birth yet, but i believe that she was born in 1883/4. My question is, would her birth have still been registered prior to her being "abandoned"? It appears that her father's surname and occupation were known but i have no other information on her parents.

Peter Goodey
04-11-2006, 9:05 PM
My question is, would her birth have still been registered prior to her being "abandoned"? Hard to imagine it being registered, wouldn't you say?

It appears that her father's surname and occupation were known I'm going to regret asking this but how come?

madbat
05-11-2006, 7:04 AM
hi Peter,

on her baptism and on her marriage certificate her father's surname name is listed as Howard, and he is occupation is " sea captain". She was "adopted" by a family called Hardy, but on all records and throughout her life she always used the " Howard" surname.I haven't been able to find any link between the Hardys and Howards as yet. it just seems very odd.

Peter Goodey
05-11-2006, 8:14 AM
'Foundling' seems a strange term to use if the father was known. Unless perhaps Captain Howard was simply the one who had found the child and taken it on himself to have her baptised and to arrange for her care and upbringing with a local family.

Let's face it, there must surely be something wrong with that baptism entry. Either 'foundling' was wrong or the person named as the father was not really the father.

Perhaps someone who is more familiar with baptism rites (C of E presumably?)can shed some light on this...

AnnB
05-11-2006, 9:46 AM
You might find this site interesting as regards information about foundlings. It might be worth asking them for advice? http://www.foundlingmuseum.org.uk/index.php

Best wishes
Ann

Peter Goodey
05-11-2006, 10:19 AM
I think the only way you might get to the bottom of this is to arrange to spend some time in the appropriate record office. Some of the documents you might think about searching are -

The Board of Guardians - were they involved? I don't know but even knowing that they weren't would be valuable.

Parish Records (and I don't mean registers!).

Local Press - foundlings were not uncommon but there might have been something about this case that was worthy of a mention.

Probate - Did the good Captain leave a will?

Those are just off the top of my head. Other people may be able to suggest other sources.

There's a finite chance that you might find nothing but if it were me I'd certainly try!

madbat
05-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Ann and Peter thank you for all your suggestions. it does seem strange that the baptism entry ( the notes by the vicar) state she was a foundling, but Howard a sea captain was believed to be her father. Surely they wouldn't have bothered to put it in the entry if it was a rumour or if he wasn't the father. My maternal great grandmother was illegitimate and eventhough her " father" is almost certainly the same man who fathered her brother( he is named on her brother's birth certificate) he is not named on any of her records.

It appears my great gran was adopted by the Hardy family, but i assume they both must have died a short time later as by the time she is 6/7 she appears on the 1891 census as boarding with a different family entirely!
I think the workhouse minutes/book may hold the key like you suggest.

Peter Goodey
05-11-2006, 11:46 AM
the baptism entry ( the notes by the vicar) state she was a foundling, but Howard a sea captain was believed to be her father
So that we understand the situation, would you please mind quoting exactly, word for word, what the baptism entry says.

madbat
05-11-2006, 4:17 PM
the entry says

October 18 1885, Violena, Parents Christian Names are Blank, Surname, Hardy-Howard, abode Leverton, Occupation - Sea Captain.,

Then at the side, the Vicar has put large brackets next to this entry and it reads as follows:-

This entry is of the baptism of a foundling infant whose parents are unknown, name suppposed to be Howard, the child is adopted by T (or I) Hardy, Labourer of Leverton.

Sorry if i've confused people. I just seem to be hitting brick walls with her at the moment.

susan-w
06-11-2006, 7:29 AM
Foundlings sometimes had notes pinned to them. Perhaps this child had a note to the effect that her father was Howard?

You could search the 1881 census with Howard and occupation as master mariner/captain variations. No doubt there are lots, and he may not even have been the captain in reality, but you never know :)

As Peter says, there might be more details in parish records, and local papers - particularly if there was a heart-rending story in the note.

Good luck!
Sue