PDA

View Full Version : Ramshill Cemetery Petersfield

waspexile
01-11-2006, 5:24 PM
Before I start hassling East Hants District Council does anyone know of a book or on-line transcriptions of the graves in Ramshill cemetery in Petersfield?

I've had a fair old search on the Internet and apart from the HGS offering what looks like a general book on cemeteries in Hampshire I cant see much.

I am looking for a gg grandmother who died in Petersfield in 1896. The graveyard at the church in town had already been closed for about 12 years so its a guess that she is in the cemetery.

David

idredge
17-12-2006, 9:55 AM
Hi

The place were all records for Hampshire are kept is Winchester, you could try them if they don't have them transcribed them you may be able to buy the film the one with the dates you are looking for, take it to your local FHC and view in on their viewer if you don't have one. It may cost £2.50 for them to copy the film. If they don't have them filmed yet then its looking in the Book. Try emailing the cemetery they could even send you all the family names as well, we did this for the Box cemetery in Wilts and they send all the records for us even the plot numbers.

Irene

waspexile
18-12-2006, 8:29 PM
Thanks Irene.
Since I posted the original query i have found a bit more and had the death cert. The daughter she was originally living with (Georgina) in Petersfield had moved to Islington by 1901 where her and hubby had totally changed direction from auctioneer and clerk to being a domestic servant.....for reason as yet unknown.

The gg grandmother Mary died in 1896 actually in West Liss (up the road). Another one of her daughters (Mary) was living in West Liss in 1891 and 1901 (same house) so my guess is that Mary moved in with this daughter when Georgina moved to London.

The daughter Mary was married to an Albery and the churchyard of this small church in West Liss has a lot of Alberys (I did a quick search on the way back from the IOW one day), but as yet no luck finding Mary, her husband Albert or Mary Jefferies the ggrandmother.

As usual, as case of its always easier to find other peoples ancestors!!

A trip to Winchester seems inevitable, or paying for a copy as you say.

Thanks
David