PDA

View Full Version : Name entered after registration (Birth Certificate)

June Harvey
11-11-2004, 8:11 PM
Noted on a birth certificate in the mid1900s: Name entered after registration which is completely different to name stated under *Name, if any* column.

How would a mother have done this - re-registered the birth; simply attended at a register office and signed a form; by court order?

I am completely at sea here. May I please have some advice.

June

Geoffers
12-11-2004, 5:06 PM
Noted on a birth certificate in the mid1900s: Name entered after registration which is completely different to name stated under *Name, if any* column. How would a mother have done this - re-registered the birth; simply attended at a register office and signed a form; by court order?
I am completely at sea here. May I please have some advice.
June
The normal way of doing this was to have the child baptised with the 'new' name and to then take the certificate of baptism to the Registrar. It is my understanding that column 10 should show the date the change was notified (which should be a fairly good guide as to the date of baptism) and a cause, such as 'by reason of baptism'. Is there anything like this in the certificate.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

June Harvey
12-11-2004, 5:38 PM
Hi Geoffers: Thank you for the response. No, there is no date under column 10 and no 'cause' stated; simply two forenames and a surname.

June

Geoffers
12-11-2004, 5:43 PM
[Thank you for the response. No, there is no date under column 10 and no 'cause' stated; simply two forenames and a surname.]

Does the surname remain the same in both cases?

Geoffers

June Harvey
12-11-2004, 5:54 PM
Geoffers:

I did not want to go into too much detail on the first post as I thought there might be a simple explanation.

In answer to your question, column 2 only has two forenames and no surname. Also, there is no father's name under column 4.

June

Geoffers
12-11-2004, 6:09 PM
I did not want to go into too much detail on the first post as I thought there might be a simple explanation. In answer to your question, column 2 only has two forenames and no surname. Also, there is no father's name under column 4. June
Column 2 should just record forenames, the surname being taken from either the father's column or if illegitimate (as in your case) from the mother's column (no.5)

I take it no additional surname is noted in column 10? If there is a name which could be used as a surname, then this may possibly be the surname of the father.

The simplest and most likely explanation is that the change is just as a result of baptism. You would need to check the relevant parish registers to confirm this.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

June Harvey
12-11-2004, 6:25 PM
Column 10 contains two forenames and one surname, which would indicate the name of the father. As for consulting the parish registers in the mid-1900s, I presume that one would have to do this in person or, as I am in Canada, employ an agent to do this. I don't imagine that these are on CDs and that one could simply request a look-up. Am I presuming too much?

Geoffers
12-11-2004, 8:19 PM
Column 10 contains two forenames and one surname, which would indicate the name of the father. As for consulting the parish registers in the mid-1900s, I presume that one would have to do this in person or, as I am in Canada, employ an agent to do this. I don't imagine that these are on CDs and that one could simply request a look-up. Am I presuming too much?
Sorry, forgot to look at where you are - yes the registers will probably still be with the incumbent so searching will either be in person or via an agent.

As an additional surname appears to be included, this might suggest the parents having married. Have you tried searching the GRO index of marriages for a match?

Geoffers

June Harvey
12-11-2004, 11:50 PM
Hi Geoffers:

Thank you very much for the continuing conversation. I am pretty sure that this couple did not marry. I now feel that the mother just wanted the name of the father to be officially recorded, for whatever reason; I must just accept this. Again, thanks for your time. June

Guy Etchells
13-11-2004, 9:44 PM
The procedure is very simple as laid out by the Births and Deaths Registration Act, 1874

8. When the birth of any child has been registered and the name, if any, by which it was registered is altered, or if it was registered without a name, when a name is given to it, the parent or guardian of such child, or other person procuring such name to be altered, or gmessage=The procedure is very simple as laid out by the Births and Deaths Registration Act, 1874

8. When the birth of any child has been registered and the name, if any, by which it was registered is altered, or if it was registered without a name, when a name is given to it, the parent or guardian of such child, or other person procuring such name to be altered, or given, may, within twelve months next after the registration of the birth, deliver to the registrar or superintendent registrar such certificate as herein-after mentioned, and the registrar or superintendent registrar, upon the receipt of that certificate, and on payment of the appointed fee, shall, without any erasure of the original entry, forthwith enter in the register book the name mentioned in the certificate as having been given to the child, and having stated upon the certificate the fact of such entry having been made, shall forthwith send the certificate to the Registrar General, together with a certified copy of the entry of the birth with the name so added.
The certificate shall be in the form given in the first schedule to this Act, or as near thereto as circumstances admit, and shall be signed by the minister or person who performed the rite of baptism upon which the name was given or altered, or, if the child is not baptized, shall be signed by the father, mother, or guardian of child, or other person procuring the name of the child to be given or altered. Every minister or person who performs the rite of baptism shall deliver the certificate required by this section on demand, on payment of a fee not exceeding one shilling.

The provisions of this section shall apply with the prescribed modifications in the case of births at sea, of which a return is sent to the Riven, may, within twelve months next after the registration of the birth, deliver to the registrar or superintendent registrar such certificate as herein-after mentioned, and the registrar or superintendent registrar, upon the receipt of that certificate, and on payment of the appointed fee, shall, without any erasure of the original entry, forthwith enter in the register book the name mentioned in the certificate as having been given to the child, and having stated upon the certificate the fact of such entry having been made, shall forthwith send the certificate to the Registrar General, together with a certified copy of the entry of the birth with the name so added.
The certificate shall be in the form given in the first schedule to this Act, or as near thereto as circumstances admit, and shall be signed by the minister or person who performed the rite of baptism upon which the name was given or altered, or, if the child is not baptized, shall be signed by the father, mother, or guardian of child, or other person procuring the name of the child to be given or altered. Every minister or person who performs the rite of baptism shall deliver the certificate required by this section on demand, on payment of a fee not exceeding one shilling.

The provisions of this section shall apply with the prescribed modifications in the case of births at sea, of which a return is sent to the Registrar General of Births and Deaths in England.

Cheers
Guy

June Harvey
14-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Hi Guy

Thank you very much for the extract. That's a 'keeper'. June