PDA

View Full Version : James and John Mason

Cymraes38
11-11-2004, 7:26 PM
Hello folks,
I am trying to solve a bit of a family mystery and if anyone could help, I would be very grateful.
My grandfather was born in Skelmersdale in 1878.
His parents were married, Ellen, his mum, was the daughter of Hugh Abel of Neston, Cheshire. His dad was stated to be John Mason of Lancashire.
By the 1891 Census he was living with his grandparents in Oldham. His mother was down as the daughter of the house, my grandfather was called James Abel, son of Hugh. No mention of John, the father. Is there a sleuth out there who could throw some light on this? Where can I look for him?
Thanks

Geoffers
12-11-2004, 8:11 AM
Hello folks,
My grandfather was born in Skelmersdale in 1878.
His parents were married, Ellen, his mum, was the daughter of Hugh Abel of Neston, Cheshire. His dad was stated to be John Mason of Lancashire.
By the 1891 Census he was living with his grandparents in Oldham. His mother was down as the daughter of the house, my grandfather was called James Abel, son of Hugh. No mention of John, the father. Is there a sleuth out there who could throw some light on this? Where can I look for him?
Thanks
Have you tried searching institutions in census returns - just using the initials? You'll often find that those in asylums just have initials, marital state, age, occupation and place of birth.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

eileenb
13-11-2004, 1:22 AM
Something not quite right here. Ellen and James were also down as daughter and son of Hugh on the 1881 census?

Grandmother Catherine was shown as age 46 in 1881 so it was still possible that James was her son aged 3 and not Ellen's son.

Have you checked for a death for John Mason? He must have been alive 1877 as James was born c.1878 but may have died between Ellen getting pregnant and the 1881 census. Perhaps she or her father, didn't want anyone to know that she was a widow or he was just in an awkward mood when census time arrived! So many people told porkies on the census, just as they do today.

If you have James birth cert then it may be worthwhile checking the electoral rolls for the address where he was born to see exactly when John was living there.
Eileen

Cymraes38
17-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi folks,
.Thanks for your replies. I do have James' birth certificate. John Mason, father and collier, Ellen Mason, formerly Abel, mother. James born 03/02/1878, family living Wigan Road, Skelmersdale (no number). Registration dist. Ormskirk, sub-dist. Lathom).
Have failed to find online info for census, death records etc. If there are any, I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction. I am restricted to a wheelchair and cannot go out looking but I do have lots of time to look on internet.

Geoffers
17-11-2004, 4:26 PM
Have failed to find online info for census, death records etc. If there are any, I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.
A transcript of teh 1881 census available on:
http://www.familysearch.org/

The GRO birth, marriage and death indices are on a pay-per-view website, 1837 online.

and there is the partial, but free, freebmd website
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

The 1881 census shows Ellen still as an Abel with her parents in Oldham

RG11/4073 f102 p14
27 Simmons St, Oldham
Hugh ABEL, hd, mar, 45, coal miner, bn Neston
Catherine ABEL, wf, mar, 46, housewife, bn Ireland
Jane ABEL, dau, 21, velvet weaver, bn Dukinfield
Ellen ABEL, dau, 19, velvet weaver,bn St Helens
Elizabeth ABEL, dau, 17, velvet weaver, bn St Helens
Abraham ABEL, son, 12, office boy, bn Oldham
Eliza ABEL, dau, 7, scholar, bn Oldham
James ABEL, son, 3, bn Skelmersdale

My guess would be that she never actually married John Mason - or - he died/abandoned her and she went back to live with parents and for the sake of appearances, James was brought up as her parents' son.

The 1881 census does show one Mason family in Skelmersdale, but no John in it. There are several John Masons of roughly the same age as Ellen living in or near Wigan

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire